Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Elk Steaks

Love Handles
Love Handles Posts: 253
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
A friend is giving me some of his elk steaks. Anybody got any good receipes. I don't mind the "gamey" taste, so don't worry about that. Thanks for your help..

Comments

• Nature Boy
    Nature Boy Posts: 8,687
    Love Handles,
    I had elk once in Colorado, and it was not gamey at all. Very rich and dense meat though. Real tasty.[p]Not sure on recipes, but the steak I had it was very lean and best seared to a medium rare. [p]Do you know what part of the Elk the steaks are from?
    Cheers!
    Chris

DizzyPigBBQ.com
    Twitter: @dizzypigbbq
    Facebook: Dizzy Pig Seasonings
    Instagram: @DizzyPigBBQ
  • Nature Boy,
    I think he'll give me any kind of steak I want because he has about 250 lbs of steak and hamburger in the freezer. I've had elk in Colorado before also, but I just barbequed it with sauce then. It was really good, but am looking for a little different receipe this time. Also, it will get cooked on the egg this time. I'm still trying to get my pay pal account squared away so I can order the rub from you. The little wife already has an account with them, but I don't know her account code. I'll ask her when she gets to work this morning. Thanks and See-Yaa

• Stogie
    Stogie Posts: 279
    Love Handles,[p]I have prepared elk several times.....I used to live near Atlanta, MI...home to a very large elk herd. [p]Here is a marinade and sauce I have used for several years. Originally, I used this on venison, but it works great on elk as well.[p]To cook, you need hot and fast. Same as a steak. Bring the internal temp to whatever pleases you.[p]Stogie
    ____________________________________________________________[p]Wild Game Marinade and Sauce [p]MARINADE
    1 cup Merlot wine
    1/2 cup Orange juice
    1 tablespoon Black peppercorns
    2 Bay leaf(s)
    1 teaspoon Marjoram
    1 teaspoon Thyme[p]SAUCE
    Salt and pepper to taste
    1 tablespoon Shallot(s), minced
    3 tablespoon(s) Butter
    3 tablespoon(s) Black cherry jam
    2 teaspoon(s) A1 Steak Sauce
    2 teaspoon(s) Tabasco[p]PREPARATION:
    Mix together Marinade ingredients and let game soak overnight.
    Remove game from marinade. Strain marinade and set aside.
    To make the sauce....
    In a skillet, saute the shallots and then add the remaining marinade.
    Bring to boil and reduce to 2/3 cups.
    Stir in jam, salt and pepper, tabasco and steak sauce. Cook until jam is dissolved.
    Strain and place in small saucepan. Adjust with salt and pepper. You can reduce further if desired.
    Remove from heat and add 1 Tablespoon butter.
    Serve over game.
    To cook the game....
    You can pan fry or grill this game. You need a hot fire as it is very lean. Cook the same as a steak.

• Marvin
    Marvin Posts: 515
    Love Handles,
    Elk is less "gamey" than venison and usually more tender. Just salt, pepper and a hot fire to sear them to medium rare is all that's needed. Do you think he's giving elk away because of the fear of prion (aka mad-cow) disease. My son-in-law brought back an elk after having its head tested by Wyoming State labs. It was negative, but I won't eat any, and I asked him not to serve it to my granddaughters. Probably a bit of my unfounded fear, but why take a chance???? Have fun.

• Stogie,
    Thanks a lot. This is just what I was looking for. If I prepare it this way, maybe the wife will try it too. Thank you very much--See-Yaa

• Stogie,
    What a small world. I am from Hillman. We still have a cottage there on Lake Avalon.Live in Sacramento, Ca now.

• Stogie
    Stogie Posts: 279
    Wyldwood1,[p]I actually lived in Alpena for 5 years, but we had branches in Hillman, Atlanta and Lewiston. I called on these folks every week so got to know the area quite well.[p]GREAT golfing...amongst the best in Michigan and MUCH more affordable than the Western side of the state. Atlanta is home to the golf course that is owned by the Honey Baked Ham company. The par-3 10th is deep down in a valley, and as you look at it from the clubhouse, you can see the 3 sand traps....all in the shape of pigs...complete with squiggly tail!![p]There...that keeps this post "official"! LOL[p]Stogie
  • First, you invite me over.....[p]You're a lucky dog. Enjoy with any steak technique.