Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg at:

Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #EGGhead4Life.

In Atlanta? Come visit Big Green Egg headquarters, including our retail showroom, the History of the EGG Museum and Culinary Center!  3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340.

Sear of a rib roast

Sun Devil BrettSun Devil Brett Posts: 440
edited 11:56AM in EggHead Forum
Hey guys, I've looked at maxs and the playing with smoke posts on Prime rib. What do you prefer to do , sear at the front end or at the very end of the cook? Thanks for any input. B)

Comments

• Celtic WolfCeltic Wolf Posts: 9,773
    Slow roast all the way through...
  • vidalia1vidalia1 Posts: 7,092
    I do not sear. 350 dome temp until th roast is 120 internal. Double wrap it in HDAF for 10-15 minutes. Unwrap & eat...great crust, taste & texture....just my 2 cents... :P
  • I've done them both and would be 50/50 on preference. My most recent one was Thirdeye's method and it came out very good.
    HDAF = Haitian Dumba$$ Air Force..

yes I know it means Heavy Duty Aluminum Foil.
  • stikestike Posts: 15,597
    less chance of overshooting your target temp if you sear first and roast til done. i do it at the end if I can, though.

but Alton Brown does a high heat roasting 'sear' (meaning, not on the grill) at the end. goes lo and slo tile the thing is maybe 125 (128 maybe , if a remember correctly) , then jacks oven temps to 500 and lets the exterior form a nice crust. (google "family roast" alton brown) and you'll see his method. he also ages it a few days (not enough, frankly)

the low temp roasting first, together with the salt in the seasoning, will bring some nice proteins to the surface that will crust up nice when seared at the end.

i don't sear directly, usually. but those that do swear by it.

just be careful you sear it, as opposed to burning the fat. nothing worse than bitter fat.
    ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • stikestike Posts: 15,597
    i'm not a searer (on the grill) either.
    ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • This is how I do it. 250 untill it's 123. take off grill. Raise temp to 500. Sear. Rest. Make Gravy. Eat.

$0.02

Ed
    GRAVY!!!!

Horseradish Cream Sauce

Save the gravy for lessor cuts :)