Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

problems lighting the BGE...

stike
stike Posts: 15,597
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Hi. Long time listener, first time caller (wait, that's for A.M. radio).
I'm a relative novice. Have done 4 cooks on the BGE, all eye-rolling-into-the-back-of-your-head-good results. I am doing two slabs of spareribs right now,indirect, as I type.
My question is w/r/t lighting. I've used newspaper with adequate but ashey results. I have no electrical outlet handy for an elecric starter. I have tried the last couple times to use fatwood sticks. They light easily with a match, but burn out and don't seem to get the lump going. I will of course try the paraffin, but since i have a massive bag of fatwood, i'm wondering if anyone can offer advice on using it. What am I doing wrong? It seems the stuff should spark off quite well, but it either burns out, or burns up without starting the lump.[p]Also, when the lump IS going, should I spread it around evenly within the firebox, or is it best to let it spread out from where it was started?[p]Thanks muchly, and as I'm dial-up, I may not respond back very quickly. Looking forward to your thoughts.
Stike

ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante

Comments

• stike, i use the webber fire starters light from below the grate if i want a high temp and on top of the lump if it is a low and slow cook some on here use with ease a mapp gas torch to get the coals going i am sure the other will help more then i and welcome to the forum
  • Vegas Slim, I have yet to see Weber Fire Starters in any store. From where do you buy them?

--
    Andrew (BGE owner since 2002)
  • BlueSmoke
    BlueSmoke Posts: 1,678
    Fairalbion,
    Lowe's Hardware carries them. If you don't have to have Weber cubes, many hardware and drug stores carry fireplace starter "logs" - same paraffin/wood combination as the cubes. Just whack off a chunk with a knife.
    As regards the original question, maybe you could bury the fatwood in the lump, leaving just enough to light??? (I use MAPP, so I can't speak with certainty.)
    Ken

• RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,880
    stike,
    though I commonly use the Weber cubes I went through a period while I used up a big bundle of fatsticks myself. Mine were about 8" long and I cut them in half and only used one 4" piece with good success. The only problem with fatsticks IMHO is the unpleasant smell for the duration they are burning, but that goes away. I'd just push the stick into the lump a little and start it. As you sure the problem isn't your lump? Any chance of dampness?
    As for buying the Weber cubes my last two purchases have been by the case (12 boxes) from Lowes' and during off season so they had to order from their distribution point. You have to remember many retailers (and public too) think BBQ season runs from July 4th until Labor Day!

Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • Fairalbion,
    lowes or bar b ques galore

• stike
    RRP,
    I don't think it's a problem of damp, as I pulled the spent fatwood sticks out and tossed in two pieces of paper and the charcoal lit right up. I've tried laying the fatwood horizontally, and loosely spanning lump over it; sticking it straight down in, etc.[p]I think I'm running straight for the weber cubes, though, as that's what i'm hearing most ofetn.
    thanks for your help.

• stike
    Vegas Slim,
    I have been toying with making up a flame-stick attached to the now otherwise defunct propane tank left over from the gasser days.
    Thanks

• stike
    BlueSmoke,
    Was at lowes for the first time (usually a Depot guy) on saturday buying extra weber 18" grills to smoke ribs and i noticed they had everything you could want for grilling EXCEPT starter cubes (i'm in New England).
    I decided to try fatsticks because they were so much cheaper than the paraffin cubes i saw (but that was at the dealer's where i bought the egg, and a MATCH was pretty near $4). the idea of the starter log is pretty interesting, since the cubes i've seen are $4 or so for 12, whereas the starter log is the same wax and sawdust and is about 4 or 5 bucks for much more. hmmmmmmmm
    as you can see, i'm a cheap guy.
    i'm gonna try the starter log, since you can buy them all over up here (especially in winter when the weber cubes are out of season)

• djm5x9
    djm5x9 Posts: 1,342
    firestarters.jpg
    <p />stike:[p]Try to find the Rutland FireLighters (pictured right), I found them for a couple of dollars a box. I cut them so each box yields 48 starters.
    [/b]
  • WessB
    WessB Posts: 6,937
    djm5x9,
    Heres a link where I ordered mine online, was the best price I found at the time. I believe I ordered 10 or 12 boxes..[p]Wess

[ul][li]Fire starter[/ul]
  • BlueSmoke
    BlueSmoke Posts: 1,678
    stike,
    You say "cheap guy"... I say "Brother"! It's late in the season now, but check at local "odd lot" retailers - the guys that sell the ends of shipments, old label runs, off-brands, etc. We've got a chain here, called "Big Lots", where I got starter logs for 25¢ a package.
    Ken