Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Not Hot Enough

Options
JK
JK Posts: 93
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum

I have a 6# turkey breast on - using the plate setter and a drip pan. I'm unable to reach 325* only hovers at 300*? Do any of you have suggestions or is the plate setter just too air flow restrictive? Do those of you who use bricks experience this problem? BTW, the fire that I have is burning as hot as any 500*-600* fire that I've used for red meat direct.

Comments

• j.k.,Did you preheat platesetter? It takes awhile to heat that much ceramic mass, after it gets to temp, it will hold it extremely well. Do you have enough fuel? I usually fill mine to the bottom of firering. You can still cook at very low temps with large amounts of lump. Hope this helps.

• Gandolf
    Gandolf Posts: 906
    Options
    j.k.,
    Sounds like a dome thermometer problem. Need calibrating? Is the stem touching the turkey? You may want to check it.