Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Pulled Pork - Mustard coating

WJS
WJS Posts: 54
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I was planning on doing Elder Ward's PP recipe in the next couple of days and was reviewing the rub section. Noticed that at the time it was written, didn't use mustard coating to keep the rub in place,[p]Has that changed? Anybody used Elder Ward's technique adding the mustard and if so, how'd it turn out?[p]Elder Ward, have you tried it?[p]Thanks for any input.[p]John

Comments

• SSDawg
    SSDawg Posts: 69
    WJS,[p]I have never had any problems with a rub sticking to a piece of meat. I usually massage the rub into whatever it is I'm going to cook, then add mustard afterward, if at all. I really believe that the rub needs to not only come into contact with the meat, but be rubbed in as well.[p]I know it isn't quite an answer to your question, but my two cents.
  • CR
    CR Posts: 175
    WJS, I've done it both ways and do not use the mustard anymore. I couldn't really detect any substantial difference in the results that made it worthwhile. [p]
  • WJS,[p]
    I like to use a real thick coating of cheeze whiz. There's nothing quite like it, sometimes I won't even put rub on it ... or smoke it.....I'll just slather it down with cheeze whiz and stand there and stare at it for an extended period of time. I think this is when my wife is most perplexed at my behavior. How do I explain to her the feeling of euphoria that overcomes me when I do this ? I have searched for a long time for the right words..but they always seem either extremely weird..or just plain corny... ahhh...the pain...the mental anguish...I rue the day I discovered this anomoly..this transgression..this infatuation. Is there no hope ? Shall I forever be tormented by these feelings. the shame of not being able to admit this most bizzare fetish...ahh..if only I could go back to just slathering my pork with mustard and rubbing it down like a normal man...ahhh...the life of a Stump...[p]StumpBaby

• JSlot
    JSlot Posts: 1,218
    I, too, have done PP with and without mustard. For my money's worth, the mustard/rub combo forms a much nicer crust. I'm sure you'll probably get responses split down the middle on this one. Try it both ways and choose the one YOU like the most![p]Jim
  • BBQfan1
    BBQfan1 Posts: 562
    WJS,
    If this is an opinion poll, I cast my vote.....
    Mustard slather:
    On butt, picnic or shoulder: NO
    On ribs: YES
    I just think it has more opportunity to impact the crust/rub adhesion on ribs, but the benefits are lost on a whole roast. There's a bbq rub company run by a couple guys on the forum.....can't quite remember their names right now.. and their coarse grind rub has some undisclosed natural 'binders' that make mustard unnecessary anyway....
    Put it this way, mustard can't hurt, but with a roast, it gets kind of messy sometimes....
    Qfan

• djm5x9
    djm5x9 Posts: 1,342
    StumpBaby:[p]You, sir, are spending entirely too much time in South Philadelphia . . . Cheese whiz???
    [/b]
  • Gfw
    Gfw Posts: 1,598
    PP_040800_152304.jpg
    <p />WJS, my favorite is Memphis Rub, then a nice coat of cheap yellow mustard followed by a second layer of rub. The crust is great - nice and crunchy and very full of flavor.[p]

[ul][li]Pulled Pork :~}[/ul]
  • WJS,
    I'm in total agreement with CR. I just took two butts off the Egg and pulled for future use. This was the first time I used the mustard base. I didn't notice any difference in taste or texture. However, it was quite messy and resulted in the use of a lot of rub. Quite a bit of it remained on my hands and was therefore wasted.
    For butts, I think I will stick to just the rub. Mac

• WJS,
    As it turns out, I tried a 'lil mustard/no mustard eggsperiment just last weekend.[p]I had two huge butts totaling #19. I cut each in half to get more "bark" area (my favorite!) and smoke penetration. Then I coated two of them in a medium heavy layer of rub, one of them in plain Montreal steak seasoning and let them sit for a day and a half in the fridge.[p]Then, before cooking I slathered one of the rubbed chunks in mustard, and applied even more rub.[p]They all turned out eggcellent, but the favorite of everybody was the mustard one. I attribute that only to the fact that I got even more rub on there with all that goo.[p]I don't think there's a black or white, yes or no answer on this age old debate; just go with your mood that day...

• WJS,
    Yeah I have tried it. I love mustard on just about every type sandwich I eat. But on Pulled Pork... I still do not use it. But it aint half bad with mustard.[p]Been busy sorry for slow reply[p]If you got em smoke em,
    Elder Ward