Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
We hope everyone’s enjoying the first few days of summer. For us, the weather heating up means one thing - the EGG’s gonna be busy! Whether you’re making stuffed burgers for a backyard grill out, some brats before a baseball game or searing a steak for dinner on the patio, we hope you’re doing it with full flavor and having fun all the while!

Big Green Egg headquarters has moved - come visit our new showroom and check out the museum and culinary center too! 3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340

My first brisket

ShiffShiff Posts: 1,315
edited 6:06PM in EggHead Forum
I finally decided it was time to do my first brisket. I went to the market and all they had were flats, so I bought a 4 pound one. I seasoned it with Dizzy Pig's Raising the Steaks, some turbinado sugar, and then added some prepared mustard.

Cooked indirect at 225-250 grate for 10 hours until it reached 200 degrees. It came out excellent.

Here is the starting picture:
DSC04366.jpg

And the finish:
DSC04370.jpg

Served it with baby garlic potatoes cooked on the BGE. It smelled so good, that I didn't want to take the time to get a picture of a serving plate.

Thanks to everyone for their posts on brisket advice that I have been reading for the last few days.

Barry
Barry Lancaster, PA
·

Comments

• Celtic WolfCeltic Wolf Posts: 9,768
    Look wonderful.. We'll be over in a few minutes too eat..
    ·
  • ZippylipZippylip Posts: 4,327
    next time get the sliced shot, we like the slices, looks spectacular Shiff, can almost taste the bark from here :)
    ·
  • ShiffShiff Posts: 1,315
    The sugar really helped the bark. Some of the thin pieces of the brisket came out like burnt ends- really good.

I'll try to get a serving shot next time - just too hungry this time.

Barry
    Barry Lancaster, PA
    ·
  • bubba timbubba tim Posts: 3,216
    ahh, now you are hooked. :woohoo: :woohoo: Try to duplicate what you just did. I hope you took notes... :cheer: :cheer: :S :S
    SEE YOU IN FLORIDA, March 14th and 15th 2014 http://www.sunshinestateeggfest.com You must master temp, smoke, and time to achive moisture, taste, and texture! Visit www.bubbatim.com for BRISKET HELP
    ·
  • bubba timbubba tim Posts: 3,216
    P12800011.jpg
    SEE YOU IN FLORIDA, March 14th and 15th 2014 http://www.sunshinestateeggfest.com You must master temp, smoke, and time to achive moisture, taste, and texture! Visit www.bubbatim.com for BRISKET HELP
    ·
  • Celtic WolfCeltic Wolf Posts: 9,768
    You sure LC didn't cook that???
    ·
  • BeliBeli Posts: 10,751
    Gosh if that´s a first....I can just imagine what next is going to be .....Felicidades!!
    ·
  • Little ChefLittle Chef Posts: 4,725
    ROFL!!! Celtic...you are a trip! :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: The long and slow smoking is Tim's expertise, ONLY! Not my thing!! That brisket was Tims, from start to finish! HE only, is the expert egger in the house! I may contribute a rub or sauce, but Tim is the bomb on the egg! :)
    Michelle
    ps...thanks for your help the other night....
    ·
  • JLOCKHART29JLOCKHART29 Posts: 5,897
    Great looking job on your first or for that matter 30th brisket! Was it tender as it looks! :woohoo:
    ·
  • Big'unBig'un Posts: 5,909
    It looks great! I would have loved to se a pic of it sliced.
    ·
    It was tender. I'd like to locate a whole brisket for my next attempt to see how it differs from just a flat. Most markets around here only carry flats, but I have one more place to try.
    Barry Lancaster, PA
    ·
  • WoodbutcherWoodbutcher Posts: 1,004
    Looks great Shiff! Go to Darrenkamps for your brisket next time. They have great meat.
    ·
    Thanks for the suggestion, I'll give them a try. We were at Shady Maple a few weeks ago and they also had some nice whole briskets, but I wasn't ready to buy one at the time.

Barry
    Barry Lancaster, PA
    ·
  • dhuffjrdhuffjr Posts: 3,182
    looking good.
    ·