Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Good eggkeeping

Options
Lake Conroe Egger
Lake Conroe Egger Posts: 285
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I'm new to the forum and have learned so much in a short period of time.

I have a question - are there some routine things I should be doing to keep my egg in clean and serviceable? There tends to some buildup from time to time that has to be scraped away from the walls and the dome.

Any advise?

Comments

• gdenby
    gdenby Posts: 6,239
    Options
    An occasional high temperature burn will bake off much of the grease, etc. Every few weeks, after I've finished cooking something, and have maybe a half fire box of lump left, I open the bottom wide and take off the daisy. When its cool, if there is a fair amount ash in the dome, I wipe it down with wads of crumpled foil.
  • Celtic Wolf
    Celtic Wolf Posts: 9,773
    Options
    Cook more!!!

Seriously the more you cook the more that buildup burns off. Soon you'll forget where your kitchen is..

I hide my Christmas presents in my oven.. :woohoo:
  • irishrog
    irishrog Posts: 375
    Options
    Occasionally when I am finished a cook and there is still some lump left in the egg I take off Miss Daisy, open the vent, and let the lump burn hot and this cleans a lot of the gunk from around the egg. It is also a good way to clean the cooking grid, because any bits stuck to the surface will burn up and brusy off after with a grid brush.
    You can also drop the daisy wheel into the lump to clean off the build up but remember to put a light coat of oil on it when it cools down to protect the surface from rusting until the build up starts again.
  • Gunnar
    Gunnar Posts: 2,307
    Options
    My wife hid mine in the washer once, shows where I contribute....
    LBGE      Katy (Houston) TX
  • Celtic Wolf
    Celtic Wolf Posts: 9,773
    Options
    If my wife cooks it is to heat up what I have cooked.

Though she did fry up some weenies last night.. :woohoo:

She only knows where the kitchen is because she uses the kitchen door to come in the house.