Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

New Gasket

Options
Inksmyth
Inksmyth Posts: 308
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
After the Thanksgiving Turkey fiasco, (my 21# turkey was toast in 4 hours at 300degs.) I decided to replace the gasket. With the charred gasket my temp readings were way off. Everything was getting crispy.
Replaced the gasket with Cotronics ceramic tape. Used the copper permatex as adhesive. Removed the old gasket, replaced and heated to 300 to cure. The next day ran 750 degs for 2 hrs to clean, gasket held, no loose ends. Yesterday did low and slow beef ribs. Held 220 for 5 hrs. Ribs cooked great. No hotspots. No crispy meat. I love my egg again.

Comments

• Celtic Wolf
    Celtic Wolf Posts: 9,773
    Options
    I have to ask this silly question. Did your egg hold at 300 degrees for 4 hours whilst your turkey turned into jerky?

If so it wasn't the gasket that was at fault.. :unsure:
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,771
    Options
    im with celtic wolf on this one, my egg has no gasket and leaks like a sieve. is it possible you were getting a bad reading from a temp gage too too close to a cold turkey (or maybe even touching the turkey), that happens with big pieces of meat and some times you dont catch it right away
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Inksmyth
    Inksmyth Posts: 308
    Options
    Held 300 for 1 hr before putting in bird. Did not touch vents again. It wasn't just the turkey. Ever since the gasket toasted, several months ago, it has been running very hot. I have been overcooking and crisping everything since gasket failure. Recalibrated the thermo just to make sure. Several times I couldn't get the fire to die when done. It sounds odd to me too, but I have done 2 cooks since replacement with no problems. The gasket was the only thing that changed. Might have something to do with air flow patterns>