Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

First Pizza

Options
Sun Devil Brett
Sun Devil Brett Posts: 440
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
We tried pizza for the first time last week. After reading some pizza tips on the forum we'd do some things different next time but all in all they turned out good.

GandBphotos085.jpg

Girls decided to put together on the egg

GandBphotos086.jpg

GandBphotos087.jpg

Hawaiian pie

GandBphotos090.jpg

Finished product

GandBphotos091.jpg

Too many darn things you can do on these EGGS! B)

Comments

• Pork Butt Mike
    Options
    Looking good there guy, a little tip also you might want to try. Try stretching out the dough with your hands no rolling pin that makes the dough tough. Nice job looks good.
  • The Big Wino
    Options
    I really like NYC style pizza, if you do I suggest you flatten you dough more to get a thinner crust. Otherwise that's a nice looking pie! Is that pineapple and ham, yummm! :woohoo:

Wino
  • The Big Wino
    Options
    woops double clicked :unsure:
  • Sun Devil Brett
    Options
    They were rolled, next time we'll try hand stretching, thanks ;)
  • Sun Devil Brett
    Options
    I'm more of a thin guy myself (that's my choice of pizza not my body type :) ) so we'll work on our crust for the next outing. B)
  • fregg
    fregg Posts: 58
    Options
    PBM
    Good tip on the dough, do you stretch out the dough when cold , room temp?
    my pizza always comes out OK but the end result is that the crust is a little bit tough probably due to using a rolling pin.
    Thanks
    Fregg
  • AZRP
    AZRP Posts: 10,116
    Options
    Brett besides singed arms, building the pie in the Egg leaves it open long enough to over heat it. Also just put the plate setter legs up with the grid and set the stone on the grid, gets a little more airspace between the setter and the stone. Great lookin pie! -RP
  • Sun Devil Brett
    Options
    Good tips, thanks, the second and third were a little burned, Notice to picts.of those :whistle: Hope you and yours had a good Turkey day. By the way you look good in your new apron. You almost need to put that in a frame. B)
  • Marc  from IL
    Options
    Pizza looks good Brett
    BTW... must be nice being able to wear tank-tops.
    Cold and snowy here in the midwest.

Marc
  • "Sparky"
    "Sparky" Posts: 6,024
    Options
    I agree with AZRP.It not only gives more airspace between the platesetter and stone,it also doesn't deflect the heat toward the gasket :cheer: BTW,the pizza looks great from here :woohoo: You might try wiping the stone with a damp rag(to cool it down)in between pies ;) This should help from burning the crust on the second(or third)pie ;)
  • Sun Devil Brett
    Options
    I can say I miss the change of seasons but not the cold or snow. Born in K.C. lived in Chicago, Cinncy and Columbus and a few others, Now if it hits 65 it's jacket weather. They say our blood thins :whistle: Hope you have a white Christmas though. That's always nice. B)
  • Sun Devil Brett
    Options
    I did read the wiping down between pies, will do next time. And the gasket, it was a little fryed and a little sticky to open a few days later. Even though we've had 20 plus cooks on that Egg. Live and learn, thanks for the insight. B)
  • AZRP
    AZRP Posts: 10,116
    Options
    I think that apron need a permanent location in the Smithsonian. -RP
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    nice pics- looks like the pie came out good!
    Everyone has a different way to make pizza, but I've never seen the pie built on the stone like that! :laugh:

I've done pizzas with the platesetter both ways and I prefer to do it the way you did, just make the pizza someplace else and then pop it on the stone.

Parchment paper underneath makes the process of moving a pizza easier. I put parchment on the counter and just work on that. when the pizza's ready to cook, I trim the paper back a bit so it's not flappin' in the breeze.

not sure what temp you were doing but it looks like it cooked up good!

Where'd you get the dough? I buy mine from pizza shops and have found one of the places the dough rises up thick like yours did-especially at the edge because I left a little lip there. So your prep may not matter if you got a dough that's gonna grow!

great job, great pie, great girls!
  • Sun Deviled Egg
    Options
    So what's on the menu for the big game this Saturday? I'm having a bunch of neighbors over and grilling up some shrimp tacos baja style.
  • Sun Devil Brett
    Options
    We have our company x-mas party. So I have no control over the eats. But I will have my plate in front of the tube. Go Devils. :evil: B)