Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Help!! The best cut of meat for ribs??

Options
Mac  in NC
Mac in NC Posts: 287
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I recently smoked some pork ribs for my wife and after almost five hours of tending the fire, her comment was "They're good but too fatty." The spare ribs were purchased from my local grocer and were packaged there at the store. No solutions had been added, just plain old ribs.
I won't disagree with her response; there was a lot of waste due to fat. But after five hours of fire tending, I was not ready for that remark, no matter how true.
Can anyone recommend the "ideal" rib for BBQ grilling/smoking? Country style? "riblets"? etc... I'm anxiously awaiting any response. My pride has been shattered and I do not wish to make the same mistake again. Thanks in advance... Mac

Comments

• Car Wash Mike
    Options
    babybacks03.jpg
    <p />Mac in NC ,
    I get a 3 pack of babybacks at Sam's for around $2.90 lb. I have on the BGE some boneless country style which is actually a pork loin.
    Babybacks are the way to go. If you don't need 3 at a time, freeze.
    Love both of them.[p]CWM

• YB
    YB Posts: 3,861
    Options
    Mac in NC ,
    I like baby backs,they seem to have a lot less fat.I cook mine direct on a raised grid flipping every 45 minutes until the meat between the bones reaches 185°.This takes 2 1/2 to 3 hours.
    Larry

• RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,895
    Options
    Mac in NC , I echo the baby backs - you'll never go back to the others!

Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • Yo Mac, Were these full sized spares or were they trimmed down St Louis style? I will go against the grain here and say I prefer StL style spares over back ribs. My preference is based upon cost as well as taste.[p]Depending on the size of the spares, and the cooking temperature you used, it is possible that if the ribs were still too fatty after cooking them, they may not have been quite done.[p]Lager,[p]JDB
  • Gfw
    Gfw Posts: 1,598
    Options
    Mac in NC , I think there is an echo... Baby Backs![p]

• Mac  in NC
    Options
    It's settled. I will begin my search for the infamous babyback rib. Thanks for all your responses and JDB, I haven't forgotten your response either. I will ask my local butcher what kind of ribs they were (package just said pork spareribs) and give the St. Louis style a chance as well. Happy grilling! I'm off to work... :0( Mac
  • Tim M
    Tim M Posts: 2,410
    Options
    ribset28.jpg
    <p />Mac in NC ,[p]If I get pork spare ribs, they are the St Louis cut. But mostly we eat the BABY BACKS!![p]Tim
  • Marvin
    Marvin Posts: 515
    Options
    Mac in NC ,
    Most of those three packs for 2.99 at the various club stores (BJ's, Sams), as I understand it, are really loin backs - slightly thicker than true baby backs which are the most tender. But up here in the north country, true baby back ribs rarely get below 5.99. I think that all the rib parts have a place and taste great when cooked in our style cookers. Have fun.

• Joel Ferman
    Options
    P8250009.JPG
    <p />Mac in NC ,
    Baby back are my favorite....
    -Joel

• Seth
    Seth Posts: 79
    Options
    YB,
    What temp is your egg thermometer reading for your ribs?
    Seth

• YB
    YB Posts: 3,861
    Options
    Seth ,
    I keep my dome temp at 250° when cookig baby back ribs.
    Larry

• Tim M,[p]Does "St. Louis" style spares just mean that they have that huge lobe of meat trimmed off along the side?[p]Did some spares yesterday (store was out of backs) and they were okay, but that big lobe of meat was pretty chewy. The rib meat was fine though.