Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Whats the worst mistake you've made using the BGE?

Roanokesmoke
Roanokesmoke Posts: 29
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
in other words, are there any memorable mistakes or disasters you've had while using your BGE? It can involve the food itself or anything else pertaining to your cook. Personally, I just had my first one last Thursday. It wasn't anything too big but it was enough to really bother me. I was doing a mad max turkey at 325, and I had previously read it would take approx. 17-19 minutes per lb. However, for whatever reason, my turkey finished much faster---about 14 minutes a lb. Thus, when I checked the temperature (about 30 minutes out from when I thought it would be done), the breast temperature read 185. Suffice to say I was shocked and a bit upset. The turkey still tasted fine...but it could have been much better.

Comments

• BENTE
    BENTE Posts: 8,337
    wish i would have never bought my first grill and instead i wish i would have bought a egg ;)

other than that flashback wearing only boxers :blush:

happy eggin

TB

Anderson S.C.

"Life is too short to be diplomatic. A man's friends shouldn't mind what he does or says- and those who are not his friends, well, the hell with them. They don't count."

Tyrus Raymond Cobb

• Zippylip
    Zippylip Posts: 4,768
    Just can't seem to remember the burping thing :huh:
    happy in the hut
    West Chester Pennsylvania
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,733
    my turkeys always go 12 to 15 minutes following maxs directions, might have something to do with the pan or max's more frequent basting. corned beef ribs are the worst thing ive found to cook in an egg, the only thing ive ever tossed
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Celtic Wolf
    Celtic Wolf Posts: 9,773
    before.jpg

Is this memorable enough?? :woohoo:
  • Ashman
    Ashman Posts: 375
    That would have to be taking $40.00 worth of NY Strip steaks and turning them into something the dog had a little trouble chewing. :sick: And yes, there was adult beverages and good friends involved. The good thing was that I had plenty of beverages to feed the hungry. ;)

Liv'n & Learn'n
    Gordon
  • Celtic Wolf
    Corned Beef RIBS?? Where on earth did you fine those??
  • Celtic Wolf
    Get the Lawn Ranger to make you a sign

"Burb The Baby"

:woohoo:
  • Celtic Wolf
    Not to worry cause all the King's men put Humpty back together again cheaper then I could ever image.

after.jpg
  • gdenby
    gdenby Posts: 6,239
    About my third cook, I took some beef short ribs off too soon (didn't have a quick read thermometer,) and shut the Egg down. Shortly thereafter, I realized that they needed more time, and so went back to the Egg, stirred the coals and saw a bit of glow, opened the vent wide, removed the daisy, put the ribs back on, and hoped the fire would start back up. Went inside for 10 minutes, then went back out to see if the fire had returned. It had returned, and then some. Dome therm was passing 750, and a bluish jet was coming out the top...

Once we chipped thru the char on the outside, the inside of the ribs were pretty good. :whistle:
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,733
    this is not the red stuff, its corned by a couple OLDE butcher shops up here, each with their own recipe, and i know you dont like bolied dinners, but you might like this stuff, not soapy salty tasting like the mass produced stuff, no soaking needed, it cooks dark brown when boiled. makes a descent pastrami, but those ribs need to be boiled. i posted the pastrami to show the color, and this butchers corned beef is alot redder than the other butcher i buy from

2004_0122Image0020.jpg
    the ribs look innocent enough, dont let that fool you
    2004_0229_224353.jpg
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Lawn Ranger
    Lawn Ranger Posts: 5,467
    Frying these very onion rings for the meal shown (first and last time). This was before the fire. Fortunately neither the Egg nor house was damaged. However, my ego was severely charred. And, with the help of some good friends on this Forum, it continues to be so until this day..

Mike

ring1.jpg

wing1.jpg

wingring3.jpg
  • Early on I did a few cooks before the fire was burning clean.

I was using a tinfoil pie pan as a drip pan, it was pretty full and I pulled it out while the coals were still going, gripped it with a pair of pliers and proceeded to spill it all over the place. Didn't get burned though...

Another less dangerous screw up was taking a beercan chicken off the grill - chicken falling apart, beercan stuck to chicken butt, lifted the bird out and can deployed dumping fluids into Egg while I wrestled the disintegrating bird onto a plate and then went to pick up the 350 can...
  • dhuffjr
    dhuffjr Posts: 3,182
    Cooked a small flat direct once. It would have made a nice piece of stone for Leroy's chicken coup if I'd kept it.
  • Celtic Wolf
    It just because we Lub you...

or we haven't got our handles yet :woohoo:
  • Mainegg
    Mainegg Posts: 7,787
    YES cleaned the ash out and set the ash pan on top of the lump box that was just a Rubbermaid tote and forgot it. :whistle: about 2 hours later I smell nasty smoke and go out to the back deck to find the whole tote smoking and the side melted out and dumping on to the deck......panicking I try to save the LUMP?!?! :blink: LOL rip everything out of the small egg and dump it in there and shut it up tight to put it out. threw what was left out onto the pool deck , then realized it was on the looplock pool cover $$$ and melting through the snow FAST. going back and forth between the deck that is smoldering and the pool cover hoping it would snow hard to hide it all from Neil till I can figure out a good story of why it is not MY fault! :evil:
    smfull.jpg
    small egg stuffed to the top with lump from tote
    tote.jpg
    there is a loop lock cover and pool under there!
    burnhole.jpg
    the deck :(
    chuckie.jpg
    dinner was still good :P
  • Firetruck
    Firetruck Posts: 2,679
    When I first got my large, I started some lump in a chimney starter, poured it in the bottom of the egg. Then I poured more lump over that which smothered the fire. (I thought I was going to do a low and slow :huh: ) I had shut the lid and went in the house for about 10 min. Walked back out opened the lid, and noticed all the rich thick smoke in the egg. I thought to myself well I guess it needs a little more time. Well by opening the lid it gave the smoldering fire just enough o2 to light off and boy did it. Just about the time I shut the lid, that thing went off like a jet and blew flame and smoke out the lower air damper all the way across my back porch. It actually blew a pile of leaves of the porch. Not only that but when I finally got the nerve to open the thing back up, I couldn't. Yep it melted the gasket together.

Some lessons need to be taught by someone else before trying on your own. I'm just glad I took flying lessons in a real airplane instead of buying an ultralight like I wanted to. No telling what would have happened. :whistle:
  • stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    forgotten hot dog.

rotdog.jpg
    ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • stike
    it helps if you put the "no messge" thing in the subject line! gaaaaar :pinch:

hahahaha
    see, otherwise we still open the post.
    :unsure:
  • Celtic Wolf
    Wel I never and from the sounds of it I hope I never do :woohoo:

I boil things.. Pasta, rice, water for tea.. stuff like that.. :woohoo:
  • Fidel
    Fidel Posts: 10,172
    This one time I accidentally posted this other dude's photo as my own.....

On Woosday
    And he was the guy that started the Woosday thread.
  • stike
    whatever happened to that?
  • Celtic Wolf
    He popped in once this year..
  • There are two, one of which I'm embarrassed to even mention.

1. I enormously undercooked a standing rib roast and had to finish slices off in a pan with olive oil. :blush:
    2. I had run out of lump, didn't have time to get any more and used a leftover half bag of Matchlight I found in the garage. Good gravy, what a stupid, stupid idea that was. :(
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,887
    maybe 7 years ago on a Sunday morning I attempted Mrs YB's potato breakfast casserole. One step was to cover the potatoes with a quart of hot water. I failed to read the next sentence saying to then drain them. Instead all that liquid went in. I cooked and cooked that watery goop and it never set up even an hour after it was supposed to be done and that's when I caught my error! T'was toast and jelly for breakfast while I cleaned up the mess!
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • Beli
    Beli Posts: 10,751
    Invited my curious father in law over, he tried to peek inside the egg at 700° dome......it literally exploded sending the cast iron cap flying several meters and sending him over some flower pots....luckily managed to grab hold of his arm and avoided a very frightened old man from falling...
  • Celtic Wolf
    Ouch!!!

I am glad my father-in-law can't get near my eggs. I could never stop him from falling. Worse I don't thinking I could out run the bullet. :laugh:
  • Hey,

I resent that. I am not old enough to be your Father In Law. :blush: Or did it really happen twice. I was going to post that as my worse mistake. :laugh:

Steve

Steve 

Caledon, ON