Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

country ham

Dawgtired
Dawgtired Posts: 632
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Hi Guys,
Strating to prepare for Christmas with the in-laws. That not only means several trips to the ABC store for me, but also thinking about what to have on the menu. I wanted to switch up this year and get a salt cured country ham instead of the sweet honey baked variety. I'm relying on the sage wisdom of this group for any suggestions on where to order one from. I would assume, like everything else in this world, that some places have better hams than others. Thanks for the help.

If we ever forget that we are One Nation Under God, then we will be a nation gone under.

Ronald Reagan

Comments

• TNmike
    TNmike Posts: 643
    I'm sure you will get many replies for your search but here is a local favorite. Harpers Country Hams in a small town in Western KY, Clinton, KY. Here is a link to their web site. TNmike

http://www.hamtastic.com/
  • Cecil
    Cecil Posts: 771
    Google Early's. They also make some fine country hams.

Walt
  • Rolling Egg
    Rolling Egg Posts: 1,995
    I just talked to my dad this morning about a country ham. I get one every year at this time and have it sliced and then I package two slices in food saver bags. A whole ham lasted me almost 10 months but Im the only one who eats it at my house. This year Im sharing one with dad. Im headed to the store tommorrow and pick ours up. We buy a brand called Clifty Farms. Im not sure If they are local or not but my dad has been buying this brand for a long time and now Im on the bandwagon. They are currently on sale here for 1.69lb. Last year I got one for 1.29lb. I dont think they are going this cheap this year. I just went to there website and they do sale online with free shipping but they are way high on price. Looked like 60.00 for a sliced 16 pounder. Mine will be about 30.00 for the same ham? Cant figure that one out. Anyways, they are great hams. Happy Holidays!

www.cliftyfarm.com
  • TNmike
    TNmike Posts: 643
    Rolling Egg, the Clifty Farms hams are made about 100miles from me in Paris, TN. They are good hams. Seems like all of the online stores are a lot higher than they can be bought locally. I haven't bought one recently but like you they were around $1.69 per pound here last year. Mike
  • JPF
    JPF Posts: 592
    Petit Jean Ozark Hickory Smoked Ham is my vote. We have them local here in Arkansas for about half of the price to order online. So if it is available in your area I would say give it a try. It is great if you just warm it up and serve it. I egg mine at 250f with pecan and guava wood to add a little more smoke to it. I did one for Thanksgiving and a 16# turkey and all was gone with just a family of 12 eating. Good Luck Jon
  • I wonder if any brand is better or worse than the other?

Used to always buy Honey Baked Ham, very expensive to say the least. Once I started doing them on the egg I haven't had any better.

I have tried 2 or 3 different commercial brands but I would be hard pressed to say one is better than the other.

GG
  • What's your method for cooking them on the egg?

If we ever forget that we are One Nation Under God, then we will be a nation gone under.

Ronald Reagan

• Rolling Egg
    Rolling Egg Posts: 1,995
    I grew up on the Tenn line and all we ever had was Clifty Farms. Along the same lines as Grandpas Grubs comment, Im betting they would be the same from any large vendor. Im thinking about doing my own one day. All you need is a 3x3 wooden box, a fresh ham, lots of salt, and three weeks with temps around 45.
  • Pretty simple actually.

Egg dome 325° indirect and heat the ham to 130° internal. Drip pan with some apple juice in the bottom.

I get a pre cooked smoked ham w/spiral cut. Inject 8 oz of Grade B Maple or as much to that amount as you can into the ham while sealed - through the cryovac.

When ready to cook, take the ham sealed in a pan and out to the egg. Cut the wrapping open and remove the white dis on the bone. Cut side of the ham down on the grid, if you are going to glaze then do that before putting on the grid.

If I put a rub or glaze on the outside I use mustard and what ever if provided. Sometimes I will use egret's rub without the burbon or alton brown's.

Richard FL also sent me a copy of a recipe that is supposed to clone Honey Baked Ham. If you are interested I will look it up and send it to you.

Don't toss the bone as it will make some of the best soup you have ever tasted.

GG
  • That would be great and while you are at it, I'd love that soup recipe also. THANKS!!!!

Ronald Reagan

• stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    honeybaked ain't no country ham!
    ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • Check out this site

http://www.turnerhams.com/

I think you will find it to be one of the best hams you ever tasted

:P We usually buy two a year one for Christmas and one for 4th of July

Merry Christmas
  • Here's the link to a local ham produced in my hometown. Nancy Newsom supplies to Bobby Flay and other big names. I can personally vouch for her product. If you enjoy real country ham, this can't be beat.
    http://www.newsomscountryham.com/

Barry