Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

What's your favorite smoking wood for pork/beef/poultry?

Options
Mac  in NC
Mac in NC Posts: 287
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I just got back from BBQ Galore after picking up some much needed supplies. A bag of cherry wood and a bag of oak wood caught my eye and I figured I would add them to my smoke wood collection.
Just thought I'd ask the forum what your favorite woods are for each particular meat. (I've never used either one of the woods listed above before and was curious what they would go well with) Mac

Comments

• Caney
    Caney Posts: 36
    Options
    Mac in NC,[p]Hickory for pork.
    Pecan for turkey.
    Alder for salmon.

• BlueSmoke
    BlueSmoke Posts: 1,678
    Options
    Mac in NC,
    Pork - hickory
    Beef - coffee
    Poultry - apple, peach or guava[p]Ken

• Cajun
    Cajun Posts: 147
    Options
    Mac in NC,[p]Mesquite for pork, beef
    Fruit woods for fish
    combo mesquite/fruit for foul[p]
    Cajun

• nikkig
    nikkig Posts: 514
    Options
    Mac in NC,
    beef/pork-hickory
    poultry-pecan
    fish-alder[p]~nikki

• SSDawg
    SSDawg Posts: 69
    Options
    Mac in NC,[p]I use Pecan for just about everything. Have a source at a pecan orchard, so I'm working on some shells as well.
  • Love Handles
    Options
    Mac in NC,
    I use a lot of cherry and apple for pork,chicken and fish. I've got some almond I'm going to try soon. I'm still pretty new at all this, but so far I've had good results. I do like putting the chunks on dry instead of wet. It seem to give more smoke flavor.

• Still Smokin'
    Options
    Mac in NC,
    I mix hickory and apple for pork
    pecan and apple for turkey
    hickory, hickory+apple, pecan, pecan+apple, or oak for chicken
    hickory or oak with beef[p]Hickory is the strongest, pecan is a lighter and mellower smoke to hickory. Apple is mild. I am not totally sure how great I think cherry or oak is, sometimes I they taste a little off to me. I prefer the smell of mesquite more than the taste, but sometimes use it for a change. [p]I don't think I have ever used my egg without wood chunks. Today I picked up a few sugar maple pellets from a local dealer. He says they are so hard they last for hours.

• Banker John
    Options
    Mac in NC,
    I use hickory for most everything. Hickory nuts that is.[p]There are a few hickory trees not far from my office. In October/November, the nuts will fall. About 4 five gallon buckets will last me all year.[p]They are best when still green, but by Christmas, they have all dried out. When green, they smoke better and you use less. [p]I also use live oak, because it is plentiful here locally too.[p]I have a peach tree and I save the prunings to use also.[p]

• RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,895
    Options
    Banker John, geez I have never thought of that as I'm too busy cussing the darn things and wondering where all the squirrels went! My home in a large area known as Hickory Grove because of the tremendous number of hickory trees. My lot has numerous hickories and the nuts start pelting the ground about late August up here. I literally shovel them from my yard and driveway. Guess what I'll start doing next year! Thanks, John!
    BTW was what I did with the extra money OK by you?

Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.