Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

New cast iron grate

Options
EggME
EggME Posts: 116
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I also got a new cast iron grate for my large. Do I need to do anything to that before I use it for the first time?

Thanks,

Pam

Comments

• TomM24
    TomM24 Posts: 1,366
    Options
    I'm not sure whats reccommended. I just sprayed my with Pam olive oil and went at it. If you leave it in for a cleaning cook which I wouldn't recommend it will definatley need some oil.
  • Fidel
    Fidel Posts: 10,172
    Options
    You don't need to do anything but wash it before first use.

If you are going to use it regularly for searing - which is its best feature - then any oil or seasoning you develop is going to burn off. What I do is hit mine with a little spray oil after it has cooled to prevent rusting.

Just be forewarned, it is likely going to crack in 1 or 2 places. This is normal due to the heat expansion. It is probably going to rust a little from time to time. Just brush it off and get back to it.
  • Sundown
    Sundown Posts: 2,980
    Options
    and as far as seasoning the CI I wouldn't waste my time really. All I did was wash it when I got it rubbed a little oil on it (that was the only time) and seared a steak at 600º.

My CI grate has never cracked and all I do is brush it down well (and/or burn it off with a 500º or 600º burn) from time to time with a $5 wire welders brush.

(I gave up buying those scrawny useless little brass things that only make a mess.)