Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Spatchcock with \"Montreal Chicken\"

Charleston Dave
Charleston Dave Posts: 571
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
As if everybody isn't already poultried-out this weekend...

Tonight I Egged a straightforward spatchcock chicken (350º direct, a generous hour) using EVOO and the McCormack Grill Mates "Montreal Chicken" seasoning:

IMG_5072.jpg

I was very pleased with the results. Skin was crackllng crisp, not at all greasy. The Montreal Chicken seasoning is well-balanced, not too salty. If you prefer things spicey, you might find it too mild, but I thought it brought the chicken and smoke flavors out nicely. Ingredients list shows garlic, onion, black pepper, parsley, red pepper (and other spices?), orange peel, paprika, green bell peppers. No MSG. This stuff is inexpensive in big 23-oz. (652g) containers at Costco.

Whiz suggests using Montreal Steak on chickens, and I do use that frequently on beef, but this was my first time trying the Montreal Chicken. As you can see, the bird came out with a lovely color:

IMG_5074.jpg

Anybody else tried this inexpensive "Montreal Chicken" seasoning?

What are your favorite seasonings for a spatchcocked bird?

Comments

• TomM24
    TomM24 Posts: 1,366
    I haven't tried the Montreal Chicken. But we did have this crusting blend with panko garlic lemon and rosemary on a boneless breast and for a low fuss cook it was good. I can't remember if it was was egged I think not :(
    IMG_0395.jpg
  • Dave, was the grid on the Fire Ring, or was it a raised grid?
    Fred V. Smyrna,Ga.
  • Grid was on the Fire Ring.
    No special attachments, no raised grid.
    Daisy slider was 1/4 open, lower vent one finger's width open.
    BGE charcoal, firebox about 1/2 full.
    Running temperature 350ºF + 25º.
    No smoking wood.
    Factory-issue porcelain cooking grid.
    This is a straight out-of-the-box kind of cook that could not have been simpler.

It actually looked even better coming off the Egg, but I tore the skin with my tongs lifting it onto the serving platter.