Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

quick wing help please!

Options
Aron
Aron Posts: 170
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I just breaded my wings and placed them in the fridge to make ChefRD's wings like on GFW's website. Only problem I see is that I have too many (6 pounds) to fit on the grill. Does it matter if it's all in one layer? I won't have time enough to do 2 bunches at 45 minutes each before I have to get to my superbowl party. Do I just do as many as I can fit in one layer and make the rest another day, or do I just dump all the wings on the grill and hope for the best? I'm leaning towards the second right now, but just checking what you all think.[p]Aron

Comments

• RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,897
    Options
    Aron,
    dumb question maybe, but do you have a grill extender or some firebricks to add another grill? Personally I like my wings to have space so the coating etal cook uniformly and would not just dump them all on.

Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • Still Smokin'
    Options
    Aron,
    I you just dump a double layer on, it will take almost twice as long to completly cook and require a lot of rotating which will slow the cook process way down. I would also think it would be a mess to dump 6 pounds on in one layer. Unless you have a long drive or the party starts early, go ahead and put one layer on now. Better to have less of a perfect thing than more of almost good thing.

• Aron
    Options
    RRP,
    I do indeed have a grill extender, but I thought this would make flipping almost impossible. Of course, if I only used 1/2 of the extender, I guess it'd be possible. What would your suggestion be then?

• Aron
    Options
    Aron,
    Ok--the executive decision has been made. I was just able to load all the wings in a single layer by using the full grate and full grill extender. In order to make it possible to flip the wings on the regular grate, I am simply going to need to take a little longer by unloading the upper grate first and then flipping before putting them back on. Please chime in if this sounds unreasonable to any of you.

• Gfw
    Gfw Posts: 1,598
    Options
    Aron, I'd just throw them all on - it will take a little longer and you'll have to watch a little closer, but I'll bet by the time they start looking about perfect there will be more people watch the wings than the game!

• Tim M
    Tim M Posts: 2,410
    Options
    Aron,[p]You need to do two batches. Or do some now! If you cover the grid with lots of wings, you cut off a lot of air flow so keep an eye on the dome thermo. Don't let it get up to 375° or you get a nasty grease fire.[p]I am doing 36 parts(18 wings) and they will fit on the large Egg easily. I love those ChefRD wings too.[p]Tim

• Aron
    Options
    Gfw,
    After the first 10 minutes, where I tried it on 2 levels, I found flipping impossible. So I just dumped the ones from the grill extender onto the regular grate, and have been doing the all that way for the rest of the time. I think they're almost done, and it really hasn't taken any longer than the expected 45 minutes. They smell great, and based on the one that fell on the ground, they taste incredible (5 second rule, plus I tried the side that didn't quite hit the ground). Thanks for posting the pictures on your website, so I have a basis to judge doneness.[p]Aron

• Gfw
    Gfw Posts: 1,598
    Options
    Aron, glad it worked for you! Love wings. Today I made Chocolate Cupcakes... Not BBQ, but great food![p]Life is GOOD :~}

• RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,897
    Options
    Aron,
    well by now your wings are history and Gordon came to your rescque. I'm not sure why you saw such a problem with your grill extender, unless it was the old style - mine flips up on both sides and it takes a small amount of effort to move from side to side to access and turn the wings on the main grill, but hey I guess experience has taught me how to do it. Perhaps some time when there is less time constraint you might try working with it again...I call it working in two dimensions!

Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • Aron
    Options
    RRP,
    I do have the flip up one, but if I were to flip up the sides, the wings would just fall due to gravity, landing either in the center of the grill extender, or possibly bounce and land on the main grill or off the egg altogether. Is there a technique you use that eliminates this problem? As I said, after one attempt, I just took out the extender and dumped the rest of the wings on the grill. I found out that the absoulte maximum a main grill can handle is 6 lbs of wings. And by the way, they came out fantastic--everyone was raving.
    On the past, I've only used the grill extender to cook at a raised level, and I could see using it for multiple foods that were slow smoked and didn't require several flippings. Perhaps I just need more practice, but at least this time, everything turned out fine.