Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Soaking ribs or butts in apple cider vinegar

Options
Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I usuall sprits rib or butts with an apple cider vinegar/apple juice mix during a long cook but I have gotten where I do not like to open the lid on ceramic. Has anyone tried presoaking ribs in apple cider vinegar? how long? Does it help taste? I feel the vinegar sprits improves moisture and flavor?[p]Paul

Comments

• Banker John
    Options
    Porky Paul,
    I have used the apple city rib recipe where you will soak ribs in a vinegar based marinate. They turned out great![p]Here is a link to the recipe I used[p]Banker John

• Buckeye Bill
    Options
    Porky Paul,[p]I have a variation that has worked very well for me but most purists on this site will object. I start to cook a butt like everyone else, rub and low and slow (225) until the internal temp gets to 160 - 180 depending on how patient I am. I then take the butt and wrap it in foil and cook at 350 in the oven until the internal temp is 210. During the foil stage I put some cider in the foil, cider ice cubes are easy to handle and also a good way to preserve. I think it "washes" the fat away from the meat and also moistens the meat. My product is better than any I have ever tried, but I haven't ever eaten a 24 - 30 hour butt. Maybe I am just ignorant of what is possible.[p]My two cents worth at a fraction of the cost![p]Buckeye Bill

• Mike in MN
    Options
    Porky Paul,
    I just used a combo of apple sauce, garlic rice vinegar, and homemade chicken broth as a baste on some ribs I did last night....the ribs really turned out nice. (3-1-1 method). I think it would be acceptable to raise the lid to apply your baste. As I have read here numerous times... as long as you like what happens... we will all be happy![p]I know the 18 pounds of pork shoulder I am doing tomorrow will get the same treatment.... and it's going to make all of us here happy![p]Mike in MN[p]

• Porky Paul,
    You started the question with ribs or butt so I'll answer from there. Marinating ribs in a vinegar, oil, and spice mixture may or may not help, have cooked them both ways with good results. With butts that's a different story, because of their size marinating is not all that effective, try injecting with oil, vinegar and spices, works much better.
    Vinegar does a great job of cutting fat and bringing out the pork flavor, you can have great results with this technique.
    Jim

• Bordello
    Bordello Posts: 5,926
    Options
    Jim Minion,
    Do have a preferred vinegar??? (white,red wine or???) Will olive oil work O.K.???[p]Thanks,
    New Bob

• New Bob,
    Have used cider, balsamic, and wine vinegar at times, olive oil or veg would work. For something you want to try that would make a good starting place try Italian dressing, strain the chunks out, add your rub(grind to a fine powder) and inject till the butt won't hold any more.
    Cook normally to 195º and see what you think.
    From there let your imagination be your guide for the next injection you try.
    Jim

• Banker John
    Options
    Jim Minion,
    You mention that injecting the butt with vinegar will cause the fat to render more. I thought (probably incorrectly) that the added rendering was some of the injection rendering.[p]Of course, I have only tried this once and the butt sucked (had fire problems & meat got real ashy). Had to toss the meat.[p]Does a vinegar based injection really render more fat from the butt? each of the butts I have done have been somewhat still fatty when internal reached 200. Could be cut of meat (boston butt) or maybe I had different expectations.[p]Banker JOhn

• Bordello
    Bordello Posts: 5,926
    Options
    Jim Minion,
    Thanks,
    I have a small butt that I rubbed down yesterday and wrapped in plastic, think I will inject today and let her sit one more night before cooking.
    Have a great weekend,
    New Bob

• Banker John,
    The cooking process renders the fat but you will always have some left. Fat by it's nature will coat what ever it is on, a piece of meat or your tongue, vinegar will cut that coating and allow for a cleaner taste, it brightens the flavor. That's the reason you see vinegar sauces for pork in Southeast, they have been using it for 100s of years.
    Jim

• Banker John
    Options
    Jim Minion,
    Well, I for one, am all for trying something new. I would like to try a vingear injected butt. Any suggestions on what to mix with the vinegar or should I just do an apple cider vinegar all by its lonesome?[p]

• Banker John,
    Go with a mixture of equal parts of vinegar (cider) and oil, from there add your rub to the mixture. Inject the 12 to 24 hours before you are going to put it on.
    I recommend pulling the butt off the cooker at or just before it hits 195º. It will pull in thumb size pieces, and be very moist. Elder Ward's N Carolina vinegar sauce in the recipe section would be a good sauce to consider.
    After the first cook you can make changes to the injection recipe based what you like.
    Jim

• Banker John
    Options
    Jim Minion,
    This may be a Friday night/saturday morning cook. I really appreciate the advice. Will let you know how it turns out, good or bad.