Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Is it ever too cold to use the BGE

Options
Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
If the temp. outside is -40 degrees, can I still use my BGE?

Comments

• Vandy,
    The egg will handle it no problemo. It's the cook who usually doesn't fair too well.[p]Here in Omaha today, the high is 5° F. with a winchill that would make a snowman cringe. I wouldn't hesitate cookin on it at all in this weather.[p]Beers
    Matt.

• BlueSmoke
    BlueSmoke Posts: 1,678
    Options
    Vandy,
    Not till they have to pry my MAPP torch from my frozen hands!
    Ken

• JimE
    JimE Posts: 158
    Options
    South O,
    Does the outside temp change the cooking time drastically or burn the lump faster??

• Jim,[p]Over the past 2 weekends I did 2 overnite cooks....a brisket cook (12 hour) and a shoulder cook (16 hour) and I had to add more lump to both of them to finish the cook. If I had to guess, I figure a 25% increase in lump usage verses a summertime cook.[p]Jeff
  • Gretl
    Gretl Posts: 670
    Options
    BlueSmoke,
    Last night I prepared a beer butt bird. Apparently there was a little melted snow on the sole of my shoe, and as I stepped out into the -20 (or whatever the windchill) night, my shoe froze to the metal door sill and came off!! Now, THAT's cold. To make this note strictly food related: the fire was lively and the bird, a six-pounder, was very, very good. Made it all worthwhile. And yes, I rescued my shoe immediately.
    Later,
    G.

• LasVegasMac
    Options
    Vandy,[p]Just don't put your tongue on Humpty until its warmed up![p]LVM

• SSDawg
    SSDawg Posts: 69
    Options
    lo n' slo,[p]Where do you live? Just wondering if you are in Minnesota or Georgia, as that would probably make a difference. I did an 18 Butt on Sunday and was amazed at how little lump I used.
  • SSDawg,[p]Northern Illinois. I like to use MickeyT's rings and in the summer I normally use the #2 or 3 ring for a low & slo. In this cold I needed to use a #5 or 6 ring to maintain temps.[p]Jeff
  • SSDawg
    SSDawg Posts: 69
    Options
    lo n' slo,[p]That would be the difference. In Atlanta, we are probably a few degrees warmer than you are. ; )
  • Joel Ferman
    Options
    Vandy,
    IF you are thinking about Q'ing at -40 below than you my friend must posses balls that could choke a whale. I am sure if you've got the gumption to fire the egg up at -40 below, it'd work fine.
    -Joel

• Nature Boy
    Nature Boy Posts: 8,687
    Options
    Wouldn't -40 below be 40 above?
    Chris

DizzyPigBBQ.com
    Twitter: @dizzypigbbq
    Facebook: Dizzy Pig Seasonings
    Instagram: @DizzyPigBBQ
  • Nature Boy, Here is a bit of trivia for you...... -40ºF and -40ºC are the same temperature. This is the only measured temperature on either scale that is the same for both scales.[p]Lager,[p]JDB

• Car Wash Mike
    Car Wash Mike Posts: 11,244
    Options
    JDB, You got to help me here Juggy? How,what, when, where?
    Got my Chiefs renewal today. Hope to see you next year or possibly a Royals game.[p]CWM[p]

• Mike in MN
    Options
    Joel Ferman,[p]It's a few degrees below zero here, and you'd never know the difference. Mr. Egg is working magic on some ribs...Has no idea it's miserable out.[p]Mike in mn
  • SSDawg,
    These days you're not warmer by much!
    Keep'em smokin'
    Jeff

• Cornfed
    Cornfed Posts: 1,324
    Options
    Car Wash Mike,[p]I drank a tremendous amount of beer at Happy Hour last night. Actually, it was more like "Happy 5 Hours." Because of that, I'm terribly hungover and unable to focus on anything important. So...[p]The equation is:
    1.8C + 32 = F[p]When C = -40, you'd have:[p]1.8(-40) + 32 = F
    -72 + 32 = F
    -40 = F
    F = -40, and the two temps are equal.[p]One way to figure out that the temp at which the two would be equal is:
    1.8C + 32 = F
    1.8C = F - 32
    C = (F - 32) / 1.8
    ...divide both sides by F...
    C / F = (F - 32) / 1.8F[p]We're looking for C and F to be equal, so we want C / F = 1, so:
    (F - 32) / 1.8F = 1
    F - 32 = 1.8F
    .8F = -32
    F = -40[p]Yours in stumbling through discount algebra after killing most of my math brain cells over the years,
    Cornfed

• Cornfed,
    You just gave me a flashback and a headache at the same time. I am going to go drink. Have a good weekend.
    Seth

• Cornfed
    Options
    Seth Howard,[p]Hey, he asked...[p]I'm also off to drink in a couple of hours. Going to stop and pick up some meat for a sub-zero Q session. I'm thinking a nice steak is in order...[p]Later,
    Cornfed

• Cornfed
    Options
    Cornfed,[p]I am absolutely retarded, both for my lack of math skills, and for me thinking about this while putting back a beer or 10 on a Friday evening.[p]I should have just said that to find the temp where they're the same, just start with the initial equation and assume C = F...since that's what we're trying to show...[p]1.8C + 32 = F
    ...since C = F...
    1.8C + 32 = C
    .8C = -32
    C = -40
    and since C = F
    C = F = -40[p]I suck at math, and suck even more for thinking about it when there's beer to be consumed,
    Cornfed