Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

20 minute steak rest question?

Options
Kip
Kip Posts: 87
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Does this method apply to all cuts? Strip, ribeye, filet? How long to sear for 1.5" steaks? After 20 minute rest, how long at 400?[p]Thanks. Going to give it a try tonight.[p]Kip

Comments

• Kip, method works for me and TexRex is the guy to give credit. I have used it for New York strips and for thick London broils. I sear at 750 for 1.5 each, remove and calm the fire to 400 and cook for 3/3 with no dwell works. Nice pink center with juices sealed in. Good luck!

• TRex
    TRex Posts: 2,714
    Options
    Kip,[p]Sorry I'm late to answer your question--for 1.5" filets, I do a 90 second sear on each side, then rest at room temp for 20 minutes, then cook at 400 degrees for about 3 - 4 minutes per side for medium-rare. I've used this method on NY strips, filets, ribeyes, and pork loin chops, all with great success. Imagine it would work for T-Bones, though cooking time may be shorter b/c of the bone. Give it a try, and good luck!
  • TRex,
    I assume you noticed I jumped in last night and though I mis -spoke calling you TexRex when I gave you credit I was sincere in my attempt. The New York strips for Staurday to be done your way are still "hanging on the cow" til then, as freshly cut makes a world of difference IMHO.

• TRex
    TRex Posts: 2,714
    Options
    kat,[p]I kind of like "TexRex" actually--I live in Texas. Maybe I should say that's what I meant "TRex" to stand for all along. However, I spent most of my life in Georgia, so I can't call myself a "true" Texan.[p]Glad you chimed in in my absence. And about that "hangin' on the cow" steak--man, I wish I could get my beef that fresh!
  • TRex,
    Actually I thought your choice of TRex was in keeping with an image. You know that huge, mean, upright, carnivorous dinosaur named tyrannosaurus is nicknamed the TRex...not that I'm implying you have a big toothy head and little arms! LOL

• StumpBaby
    StumpBaby Posts: 320
    Options
    kat,[p]Big toothy head and little arms..now that sounds a lot like momma.[p]StumpBaby