Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

4 filet migon, need one well done

Options
Bordello
Bordello Posts: 5,926
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Have four filet migon steaks, three are bigger then the fourth, I need one well done, rather then leave the smaller one dwell longer even though it will cook faster, should I start the smaller one a little sooner at a lower temp. before doing the standard hi temp. sear and dwell??? Hope that made sense.[p]Last year, before I found out one person will not eat anything pink, I was cooking at 700°, nice char but had to put hers back on, it came out like a piece of lump charcoal. Yes, she ate it, I'm sure she was being polite. I now cook around 550° to 600°.[p]TIA,
New Bob not wanting to serve charcoal for dinner to her again. LOL

Comments

• SSDawg
    SSDawg Posts: 69
    Options
    New Bob,[p]The only way to get anything close to good results with a well-done filet, in my opinion, is to butterfly it. Give that a whirl, and I think you may be more pleased with the final product.
  • Joel Ferman
    Options
    P1200016.JPG
    <p />New Bob,
    I am going to have to strongly, STRONGLY disagree with SSDawg. Never butterfly a filet. Hell in my opinion the whole point of a filet is for it to be thick and pink inside. Not to be brash, but if she likes her meat well done, how could a fillet even taste good to her? I am sure she would much rather have a ribeye well done, for the marbled fat in the ribeye will keep the meat soft and juicy when it is cooked to hell.... but to each their own.[p]Oh yeah, and about the burning..... I throw fillets on at 750+ degrees, but I make sure I am using a raised grill. I place 2 firebricks upright and a grill ontop of that. I get a good sear and the results are wonderful.
    -Joel

• SSDawg
    Options
    Joel Ferman,[p]I think we're closer to agreement than you think. I agree that the entire point of eating a fillet is for its tenderness, which is gone when you cook to well-done. However, if someone insists on eating it that way, then you almost have no other choice. Butterflying reduces teh amount of time that the meat is exposed to heat, which results in a moister (albeit slightly) product. Additionally, it reduces the amount of carbon on the outside. Hence, I disagree that one should "never" butterfly a filet. In this case, there are no real disagvantages of doing so.[p]That being said, I usually refuse to cook any filet to anything close to well done.
  • CR
    CR Posts: 175
    Options
    Joel Ferman, I totally agree with your comments but I think New Bob's problem is that he is trying to serve everyone the same meal but one needs to be well(over) done.
  • Bordello
    Options
    CR ,
    Yes, and this came up all of a sudden and I had 4 filets that had been seasoned for 3 days and ready to go.[p]Thanks,
    New Bob

• Bordello
    Options
    SSDawg,
    Thanks,
    Now why couldn't I have thought of that?????? Guess I would build a bridge to cross a pond.
    Cheers,
    New Bob

• Mike in MN
    Options
    SSDawg,[p]Although we would never cook a steak that "done" on purpose, there are those people for whatever reason insist that the steak be well done. (bummer) My suggestion would be to throw all 4 on at the same time at the high temp, take them off to let the juices set and to get the temp down to 400. Throw all 4 back on for the "normal" cook time, remove the 3 "good" ones and leave that 4th on to cook until it is "done." I would cook this one about 3 more minutes per side, and I would be feeling (poke it with your tongs) the steak for firmness each time I opened the dome. Don't puncture it. It should be firmed up after the additional time, if not, leave it on a little longer. Take it in, and let it set to continue cooking inside. Once the poor soul who's going to gnaw on this chunk of ???? gets into it...make sure it's cooked enough...if not, they made microwaves to finish these things off. You've already done your best....finish it off by nuking. I've had people request everything from grill marks only to absolutely bone dry burned up....ummm ummm good![p]Mike in MN

• SSDawg
    Options
    New Bob,[p]For what it's worth, I called a chef friend of mine to get his opinion. He agreed, saying that not only will it turn out better, but that it will also cook in significantly less time. Hope that helps a little.
  • Bordello
    Options
    These filets have been coated with olive oil and Dizzy Pig's Cowlick rub, wrapped in plastic for the 3 days.

These will be great,[p]Cheers,
    New Bob

• Bordello
    Options
    SSDawg,
    Thanks to you and everyone that replied for the help. I will talk to her to get a better feeling of what she will eat and go from there. This is only my second time cooking for them, they come to AZ. from Canada for a few months at this time of the year.[p]Regards,
    New Bob

• Car Wash Mike
    Car Wash Mike Posts: 11,244
    Options
    New Bob,
    Lot of good advice. My wife will not eat pink steaks either. When the BGE gets to 400-500, I put hers on for 4 minutes per side. At 700, I cook the rest of the steaks 3-3-4 (dwell) and usually comes out real good.[p]CWM

• Banker John
    Options
    New Bob,
    for humor and presentation, cook all 4 filets to your special perfection (mine is 145 internal). For the fourth one, finish it off with the MAPP gas torch. LOL[p]With a presentation like this, chances are, the well done request will never surface again at the house.[p]Banker John[p]PS, please do not try this on any food intended for eating. It is on only mentioned as a mental picture.

• Porkchop
    Porkchop Posts: 155
    Options
    Rare - (rAYr) hit the cow with a hunk of wood you are going to throw on a fire and cook everybody else's steak with. That's as close to the fire that a steak needs to get! that's RARE!!![p]PETA - (dumbASS) it's what's for dinner when there are no more of the above.