Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Scallop question?

Options
Car Wash Mike
Car Wash Mike Posts: 11,244
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
After all the great ideas on Super Bowl appetizers, I thought about a few scallops. I ran across some at the Sam's wholesale club and they were about 1" thick and around about the size of a half dollar. Never had any this big before. Are they tougher, taste different, ect?
Thanks,
CWM

Comments

• dublin
    dublin Posts: 140
    Options
    Car Wash Mike,
    Make sure they are not injected with too much water or they will dry out faster and become tough.
    Dublin

• Prof Dan
    Prof Dan Posts: 339
    Options
    Car Wash Mike,[p]I am a devout Egger, but I would not Egg those particular scallops. They will get overcooked right away. I've done them on the Egg, and sauteed in garlic oil on the stove, and the stove is better. They are great.[p]Rinse them and wipe them dry with a paper towel. Heat some olive oil in the skillet, toss in some chopped garlic and parlsey, and simmer for a few minutes, not too hot. Then drop in your scallops and simmer on low for about a minute, flip them, and do the other side. They are done when they are no longer translucent -- two minutes or so. At the end, add salt and pepper. [p]But other than scallops, every creature must be Egged!

• Joel Ferman
    Options
    Car Wash Mike,
    I have had good luck splashing a bit of itallian dressing on them, wrapping them in bacon and smoking them with cherry pellets until cooked.
    -Joel

• Car Wash Mike,[p]Those are sea scallops and are not tougher than bay scallops unless you overcook them, and they only take a few minutes to cook. And no, they do not taste significantly different than bay scallops - both are tender and sweet - but I prefer the sea scallops. Easier to handle and more versatile.[p]Lee
  • djm5x9
    djm5x9 Posts: 1,342
    Options
    scallops4.jpg
    <p />QSis:[p]Same here!
    [/b]
  • Car Wash Mike
    Car Wash Mike Posts: 11,244
    Options
    Joel Ferman,
    I've cooked scallops on the BGE before and turned out good but not great. The size is what I was concerned about. The good Professor made me think about a different trick. I'm going to wrap these babies in bacon, brush with extra virgin olive oil, Nature Boy rub, and cook in a small alum. foil pan on the BGE.
    My guest are eggspecting everything off the EGG.
    Any thoughts,[p]CWM