Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

OT Insurance Shopping

Options
Nature Boy
Nature Boy Posts: 8,687
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Howdy yalls. Well, what folks said would happen finally happened. Nationwide has decided to "non-renew" our homeowners policy now....over 2 years since the fire...and after 30 years with them for auto and homeowners.

So....looks like we'll be insurance shopping for both homeowners and auto. Any tips for the shopper? Good companies? What to watch out for? I know we'll be paying higher rates until 3 years after our large claim (3 years is up next April), but any tips to assure we don't get gouged? General advice?

Thanks in advance!
Chris
DizzyPigBBQ.com
Twitter: @dizzypigbbq
Facebook: Dizzy Pig Seasonings
Instagram: @DizzyPigBBQ

Comments

• Celtic Wolf
    Celtic Wolf Posts: 9,773
    Options
    Sorry to hear that.

Nationwide did a similar thing to us. 13 years and switched us into a higher bracket cause we added my Truck.

My advice is stay away fro AIG. You might find yourself looking again soon.
  • deepsouth
    deepsouth Posts: 1,796
    Options
    try the other big companies.... allstate, state farm, nationwide and whatever other ones that where you live.

not sure where you live, but you can check with the insurance commissioners office to get a list of companies that are admitted in the state you live in.

this is important as admitted companies are backed by other companies with a fund that admitted companies contribute to.

not sure if any companies will actually forgive a loss, so you may be charged for it for a period of time.

good luck in your search.
  • jeffinsgf
    jeffinsgf Posts: 1,259
    Options
    We've had very good luck with Farmer's.
  • Smokey
    Smokey Posts: 2,468
    Options
    We have been very happy with Amica!!
  • dhuffjr
    dhuffjr Posts: 3,182
    Options
    If you or your mom/dad was ever in the military and had you on an auto policy I think you may qualify for USAA. An outstanding outfit.
  • Chris
    Chris Posts: 117
    Options
    I bundled my auto/homeowners/umbrella policies with Safeco and no other insurance company could quote a lower rate. Customer service has been great the couple times we have needed it (2 fender benders).
  • Boxerpapa
    Options
    That's an unfortunate situation. My parent's house burned down to nothing but ashes and was able to renew their policy with Farmer's and the rates went down. I currently have Farmer's and don't have any complaints with them.
  • AlaskanC
    AlaskanC Posts: 1,346
    Options
    Neat-o, huh?
    We finally got insured thru State Farm up in Anchorage because our local State Farm wouldn't touch us after our fire. Even one of my dad's best friends' insurance company wouldn't insure us.
    I can't even begin to tell you how aggrivating, and frankly, hurtful it was. We had years & years with these people and we were just too "high risk" for them.

The only advice I can offer is that even if one office/ branch of a company turns you down - keep calling around to the others. And in this case - beggars can't be choosers - if you find one....take it. You can always switch out later.

good luck :S
  • stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    Options
    call me naive.... i didn't think it was like that .

too "high risk". you'd think you'd be LESS a risk. how often does a person have TWO houses burn down?
    ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,758
    Options
    they are all good until you need them. something to watch for is that you get it before it expires, if you dont, the bank will buy you some at a ridiculous price and then bill you for it. when you get your new policy and try to cancel the one the mortgage company bought you, they will charge you a huge fee/service charge for those few days you didnt have it. and heres a lesson i learned along time ago with big claims, dont try to collect from an insurance agency that backs out of covering you,they always seem to have a reason, sue your broker for not getting the coverage you asked for and collect from his policy.
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Sundown
    Sundown Posts: 2,980
    Options
    We've been with Amica for our homeowners for years a few small claims no problems. Recently Massachusetts came off their high horse no fault insurance programs and we were able to switch our car ins. to Amica saving several hundred $$ in the process.

http://www.amica.com/
  • Celtic Wolf
    Celtic Wolf Posts: 9,773
    Options
    Insurance companies don't see it that way.

States had to pass laws to stop them from doing the same thing to auto insurance. That is why the risk pool exists in the first place.

Bottom line is the bottom line. Logic or statistical odds never cross their minds.
  • AlaskanC
    Options
    Safeco was the insurance company that dumped us after our fire.
  • Spring Chicken
    Options
    We have ours through Hartford via AARP and couldn't be happier. They saved us a lot, A LOT, of money when we switched our homeowners to them a couple of years ago. And saved even more by switching our auto. Now we have our medical, prescription drugs and supplemental insurance through AARP's United Healthcare program. We're pleased as punch with our decision.

Spring "AARP Member Since 1991 or Thereabouts" Chicken
    Spring Texas USA
  • Chris
    Chris Posts: 117
    Options
    Dang! I had a feeling you might say that after I sent my reply. Sorry about that. I guess I need to pray my house doesn't ever catch fire. I didn't even know insurance companies could do that.
  • Zippylip
    Zippylip Posts: 4,768
    Options
    Chris, check you email in a few minutes
    happy in the hut
    West Chester Pennsylvania
  • AlaskanC
    Options
    Yup. They waited until they gave us our final payout for the fire, then we got the letter. Everyone warned us that they would do that and I thought - no way! They have been so nice to us so far!
    ;)
  • fdxegger
    Options
    We switched to Amica for home and auto after Metlife rates went through the roof. Never had a problem, very fast on follow-up and decent rates. Amica usually comes out in the top 4 or 5 insurance companies, at least in TX
  • SWOkla-Jerry
    Options
    AARP is very cheap. We have our home and auto policy thru aarp/hartford, and aarp medicarerx and plan d as well. Teresa has her auto with Ameriprise (formerly American Express Financials).
  • Grandpas Grub
    Options
    Zippy,

If it is some insurance info, I sure would like to be copied.

Thanks in advance. Kent
  • Kew_el_steve
    Options
    We've had AMICA for just about everything, for just about forever. They have been great!!! You can not beat their service or ethics.
  • Nature Boy
    Nature Boy Posts: 8,687
    Options
    I really appreciate the advice, everyone. The posts as well as the phone calls and emails. Did not get time to check back here yesterday, but I just read through everything and I feel much better equipped now. Thanks so much everyone!

Turns out (found out yesterday) that we were non-renewed because I have employees working in the house. Supposedly it was not because of the fire claim, but I do suspect that is why they tried to find a reason to can us.

Gonna have to do some eggin today to vent.
    Thanks again yall!
    Chris
    DizzyPigBBQ.com
    Twitter: @dizzypigbbq
    Facebook: Dizzy Pig Seasonings
    Instagram: @DizzyPigBBQ