Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Mexican Pulled Pork – Thanks to Peggy

Options
RhumAndJerk
RhumAndJerk Posts: 1,506
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
First off, let’s give some credit where credit is due. Peggy posted these recipes that I loosely followed.[p][ul][li] Carne Adobadas [/ul][p]
[ul][li]Adobo Sauce for Carne Adobado[/ul][p]These recipes were in my to try pile and I am glad that I finally did. On Saturday, while at the West Side Market, I came across a small three pound pork butt. I have been hungry for some pulled pork, but knew that I lacked the time to cook it properly. I considered doing a Turbo Butt, but that just did not appeal to me. That is when I realized that I could simmer some pork for 5 hours and get the same effect. [p]Although the above recipe calls for Country Style Ribs and a long marinade process, I shortened the process by cutting the pork into large pieces. I also made the sauce in the Cast Iron Dutch oven by mixing the ingredients directly. I used Goya Bitter Orange Marinade for the Orange juice, one ancho and two chipoltes in adobo sauce from a can. I started everything on the stove and then transferred to my medium BGE. [p]I set up for an indirect cook with an upside down plate setter and some kiln posts to raise the Dutch Oven off the plate setter. I used a large chunk of Mesquite Charcoal (more of a log), a small handful of Mesquite chips and a chunk of Red Oak. I let the pork simmer for the better part of six hours. By the end there was very little sauce left and the pork was falling apart. At this point I removed the bone, pulled it and returned it to the pot and sauce that it cooked in. From there, I made tacos per se with whole wheat tortillas, the pulled pork, shredded cabbage, cheese and sour cream.[p]It came rather hot, but the kids ate it any way. I will definitely make this again but try and plan better to allow the meat to marinade for the appropriate time. [p]Give it a try,
RhumAndJerk

Comments

• RhumAndJerk, I've done a similar recipe that wraps achiote-marinated pork butt in banana leaves. Recipe was from Rick Bayless' cookbook, Mexico One Plate At A Time. It was very good. [p]
  • RhumAndJerk
    Options
    George,
    It looks like I will have to pick that cookbook.
    Thanks,
    RhumAndJerk

• Peggy
    Peggy Posts: 122
    Options
    RhumAndJerk,
    You got the idea RhumAndJerk! I own all of the Rick Bayless cookbooks. If you like authentic Mexican food and want to learn how to cook it, I recommend purchasing them. Glad you enjoyed your pork. I'm going to purchase myself a cast iron dutch oven real soon for future cooks. What size is yours?

• RhumAndJerk
    Options
    Peggy,
    I think that it is a 6-quart. Sometimes it is too small, however it fits nicely on both my Small and Medium BGE’s. It does not have feet, since I use it on the stove top also. If at all possible, get one with a cast iron lid.[p]Had I been thinking, I would have purchased an avocado to add to tacos. That sounded good.[p]Thanks again for the post,
    RhumAndJerk[p]

• Peggy
    Peggy Posts: 122
    Options
    RhumAndJerk,
    How could you forget the avocado! Shame on you:)! Just kidding :) My egg is a large and I was thinking of an 8 qt. with no feet. I purchaed an 8 quart yesterday and it fits in my large however it has feet!. Not sure what I was thinking! A blond moment I suppose. I'm going to return it and look for an 8 quart with a flat bottom to use on the stove or BGE.
    Have a great week.. and thanks for your compliments. [p]Peg

• Another good Mexican cookbook is The Essential Cuisines of Mexico, by Diana Kennedy (ISBN 0-609-60355-8). This book combines her three previus books in one volume, with refinements and updates.