Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

How to clean BGE grid

Options
Mark G
Mark G Posts: 39
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I have had my BGE for almost two years and never really gave the grid good cleaning. Now after several weeks of doing ribs it is beyond what a grill brush can fix. [p]What is an easy way to clean this thing? Anyone ever just stick it in the oven during a self-clean cycle?[p]Mark G

Comments

• Country Boy
    Options
    Mark G,
    I cleaned mine in the oven last week. It works if you can stand the smell.maby go somewhere fof half a day or put it in a container with dishwashing powder and let soak. Have never done the powder. I would like to have a Stainless one . Anybody know where to get one.

• Fairalbion
    Options
    Mark G,
    You're going to need to use a pretty strong solvent. Simple Green works well, as does one of the orange based cleaners. Another alternative is to make up a strong solution of dishwasher powder and water. Then pour it into an upturned garbage can lid and let the grid soak in that for 24 hours before doing some scrubbing.[p]I don't think you are going to find an easy way.

--
    Andrew (BGE owner since 2002)
  • Banker John
    Options
    Mark G,
    Why use the oven in the house for the cleaning. I've never tried this personally but here is a thought... my $.02[p]Fill your firebox nice & full. Light the egg. Place your dirty egg wares in the egg and inch up the temp to 550-600 and cook for a good hour or so.[p]The last time I did pizza, I noticed that my place setter turned back to the original color and the grid was cleaner than it was the week before.[p]Let us know what you do.[p]Banker John

• Mark G
    Options
    Banker John,[p]Just stuck the sucker in the over and turned to clean. I was gonna just fill the Egg with lump and light it with the vent wide open and the top off but didn't think it was a good idea to leave it like that and go to bed. Plus I figured why waste lump?[p]I'll let you know how it worked in the morning.[p]Mark G
  • Shelby
    Shelby Posts: 803
    Options
    Mark G,
    Plan on cooking some steaks. Fill up the firebox, light the egg, let it come up to 700 degrees or so. That'll burn off everything on the grill. Of course, be careful opening the dome to put the steaks on...then cook away.
    Or do as John says...cook a pizza and leave the grill in position.
    Why waste the lump to clean the egg when you can put it in a self-cleaning oven? Guess my question is why waste the electricity to clean the BGE grill when the egg can do it itself.

• Banker John
    Options
    Shelby,
    How do you not torch the felt liner when going above 700? It seems mine scorch at about 700-750?

• Sundown
    Sundown Posts: 2,980
    Options
    Banker John,
    Been doing 700º - 1,000º cooks for almost 4 years now and at the end of every 4th or 5th cook I crank Mr. Egg right up there for 10 - 15 minutes. Gasket is getting a little thin and singed around the edges but still works at 100% never had a problem
    . . . knock on wood.

• hounddog
    hounddog Posts: 126
    Options
    I torched my felt by accident. Replaced it with a stove gasket. The stove gasket doesn't torch. [p]FYI.
  • Banker John
    Options
    hounddog,
    Where did you find a stove gasket??? I'm due for a new gasket after my last steak cook. Today, I'm cooking chicken at 325 and I have a steady stream of smoke back near the hinge where the felt gasket has melted away.[p]Banker John

• RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,897
    Options
    Banker John,
    check your email. Also look at this site first to determine if you want to take me up on my offer.
    http://www.dreamglass.org/gasket.htm

Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • CR
    CR Posts: 175
    Options
    Mark G, whenever I have needed to clean grills I just put them in a plastic trash bag with a little ammonia/water mixture(50-50), seal the bag and set in the sun for a few hours. Then just rinse off with water; they will look like new.
  • Phil
    Phil Posts: 26
    Options
    A sheet of aluminum foil, shiny side down, will turn anything of the grid to white ash. This works with less fuel and at lower temps (felt preserving) that just relying on high temps. Leave the daisy wheel open. When the white smoke stops, it's done. Don;t leave it on too long, though, cause the foild evenutally will melt and burn.

• Mark G
    Options
    The results are in. 3hrs in the oven and it looks like new.
    We so the self-clean in the oven about every other month so from now on I'll just throw in the grill grid.[p]Mark G