Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Puj -- about the kiln shelf setup..

Options
LasVegasMac
LasVegasMac Posts: 183
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Puj, you mentioned this setup in a thread below - any chance of seeing a picture or two? Sounds very interesting.[p]I used to do a lot of sourdough in the dutch ovens, but it has been awhile. Too long! Might have to make a starter today.[p]Thanks,[p]LVM

Comments

• Puj
    Puj Posts: 615
    Options
    LasVegasMac,[p]At your service. Go to the Bread Baking section of the linked page.[p]Puj

[ul][li]Ceramic Setups Used with the BGE[/ul]
  • LasVegasMac
    Options
    Puj,
    I knew better than to ask. Guess I was kind of thinking along these lines. When cooking pizza, most suggest putting the stone on top of the standing up plate setter. I did it that way several times but, for some reason, decided to turn the plate setter upside down with the stone on the legs. Seems that I am much happier with the crust doing it this way. Probably just my imagination.[p]Where does one get the material - spacers, etc. Are the "shelfs" just pizza stones or different material?[p]The bread bug has bitten.[p]Thanks, Puj.[p]LVM

• Puj
    Options
    LasVegasMac,[p]Everything pictured are kiln-fired ceramics. Many of them come from my favorite ceramic supply store - Davens Ceramic Center in Chamblee, GA (Hi Angel!). I suspect that you can find a local ceramic supply house out in the the land of the sand pretty easily.[p]I'm a firm believer of whatever setup works, one should use. I use the pictured Bread Baking setup for pizza, but add a third shelf. This provides a "hearth" thickness of an inch and a half which, I believe, delivers conductive heat in a more uniform manner. I now bake pizzas at 700°F plus dome temp.[p]Puj
  • LasVegasMac
    Options
    Puj, I think I know of several places here in town.[p]Thanks, again.[p]LVM

• Puj
    Options
    LasVegasMac,[p]Your welcome, just somewhat of a shame that we live on opposite ends of the country. If you were close by, I'd give you one of the starters sitting in the frig.[p]Puj
  • tn slagamater
    Options
    LasVegasMac, Puj is the expert on sourdough baking.Especially on the Egg. You can get starters from several sources: Oregon trail starters po box 321 jefferson, md.21755 SAE required; or sourdough International has a variety of starters for sale