Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Small Green Egg

Options
Doug
Doug Posts: 132
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I'd appreciate some thoughts:[p]
I've got a Big Green Egg and am debating whether to buy my second in a medium or small. There are many times it's just my wife and I and I hesitate to crank up the big one for just a couple burgers or a steak.[p]Does the small cook as good as the medium ?[p]Does the small use that much less coal than the medium ?[p]Can the small cook for several hours ?[p]Which one ? Small or Medium ?[p]
Doug[p]

Comments

• The Naked Whiz
    Options
    Doug,
    I'm waiting for a small with the new hinge, to add to my large. I'd like to be able to take it places, and at 65 pounds or so, it is just portable. Plus it will give me the ability to cook at 2 different temps at the same time or have more capacity for a large crowd. [p]TNW

The Naked Whiz
  • Steve-O
    Steve-O Posts: 302
    Options
    Doug,
    I have a large, a small and a mini. There are many things to admire about the small, and when BGE finally gets the new hinge working properly, it will be an even better cooker than it already is. It makes a great companion to the large. I often do baked beans or a casserole on my small while doing ribs or some other meat on my large. I do believe that the medium is more flexible and is capable of longer cooks than the small, but since you already have a large, the small will compliment your large very well.

• Shelby
    Shelby Posts: 803
    Options
    Doug,
    Like TNW, I'm waiting for the new hinge to become available, then I'm buying a small. I've got a large and often times when it's just the wife and I and if she doesn't want a steak, I'm firing the large just for one steak. Seems a waste, so I'll give myself more options with the small.
    Not sure if I'll build a table for it or just go with the nest. If I cut a hole in my existing table, I'd be left with almost no work room, so am not considering that option.
    Hope that helps.

• BlueSmoke
    BlueSmoke Posts: 1,678
    Options
    Doug,
    Got a large and a small, no medium so I can't make that comparison. A lot of my cooking is grilling for two: the small is ideal. You can do longer cooks too. If I had it do over, I'd stick with the small.
    Ken