Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Fire assistance please

Options
Jeff
Jeff Posts: 75
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Hey everyone, proud owner of a new LBGE. Tried several things this weekend but none were great, well maybe the ribs were. [p]My question is about the correct process for the proper fire.[p]If I am grilling direct around 450 should I stir the fire to even it out as I would a webber or others? I had some hot spots to deal with on my chicken breast. [p]I couldnt seem to keep the temp below 325 for my ribs, was looking for 275. I use a torch to light my lump, as I have with my webber kettle. Am I letting it get to hot? I started venting it down around 300, but it kept climbing. I had the bottom vent only open about 1/8" and the top almost closed. I guess the ceramics became to hot? [p]I am looking forward to a long relationship with my egg. Thanks for any suggestions.[p]Jeff

Comments

• The Naked Whiz
    Options
    butt.jpg
    <p />Jeff,
    Regarding getting a low temperature fire, in general, it is best to start closing the vents before you get to the temp you want. It is easier to heat the egg up than it is to cool it down. After you have played around, you will find that getting it to hold 200-220 isn't that hard. [p]Here is a pointer to my webpage on my first low and slow cook. You might find something useful there about getting a low fire:[p]TNW

[ul][li]The Naked Whiz's First Pulled Pork[/ul]
    The Naked Whiz
  • Jeff
    Jeff Posts: 75
    Options
    The Naked Whiz,
    Thanks I will deffinatly give it a try.
    Jeff[p]Oh yea on your pulled pork a slice of white bread will also work if you are out of cheap buns! (fellow nc'er).

• The Naked Whiz
    Options
    Jeff,
    Yep, it's hard to believe. It's one of those things I think you just have to learn for yourself....[p]TNW

The Naked Whiz
  • Jeff,
    I totally agree about the low cook temps. Close the vents off before you get to the temp you want and bring it up slowly. In regards to your direct grilling temp. I would have to say that you are getting it pretty hot. This is what works for me when Im cooking direct. I will use breast of chicken for an example. First I get the coals going with an electric starter. I then take the starter out of the coals and have the vents opened all the way. Slowly the egg will get to a temp of about 400. As soon as it does I close the top daisy wheel vent so that only the slots are open. You know what I mean? At that same time I close the bottom vent so that it is open just a little bigger then a fat pencil. Then, for my egg the temp will settle around 350. Thats where I like to cook. I let it go to 400 initially so I get a good well rounded fire.(vertually no hot spot) Last I put the breasts on 15 minutes on each side. Comes out perfect for me. Give Humpty some time to get to know you vice versa. You will soon be great friends.