Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

OT-Living Cookbook

Eggtucky
Eggtucky Posts: 2,746
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Prolly already been posted, but havent been on in a few days...LC FINALLY came out with an updated version...
Check It Out ..free 30 day demo...

Comments

• BENTE
    BENTE Posts: 8,337
    yea someone said something about it.. i have the old version. richard hooked me up with it. he also said something about waiting till they work the bugs out of it. so i will take his advice on that..

but maybe someone will be a BGE test subject ;)

happy eggin

TB

Anderson S.C.

"Life is too short to be diplomatic. A man's friends shouldn't mind what he does or says- and those who are not his friends, well, the hell with them. They don't count."

Tyrus Raymond Cobb

• Eggtucky
    Eggtucky Posts: 2,746
    yeah...I'll be giving it another month or so also..I have been 'demo'ing' the old version for like 6 months.. Richard hooked me up too..it was based on 24 uses and I was down to about 4..I kept starting to purchase but couldn't get past the old 2005 interface, glad I waited now...
  • Cecil
    Cecil Posts: 771
    I have the old version and am lost. My fault because Richard has graciously offered his tutorial help. I can't figure out or find the time to call him. I can't wait because it looks like a great tool.

Walt
  • I started with the '05 version and Richard helped me with his recipe files. I then upgraded to the new version, '08, and screwed it up. I had to start all over and build the new upgraded version from scratch. I lost some recipes I had copied but all in all, I was not that far along with new recipes. So, I am now fully loaded and upgraded with the new LC. Lookin back, I should of waited for bugs to get worked out.
  • BENTE
    maybe you could be the test subject i would say guinnea pig but can't spell it :laugh:

happy eggin

TB

Anderson S.C.

"Life is too short to be diplomatic. A man's friends shouldn't mind what he does or says- and those who are not his friends, well, the hell with them. They don't count."

Tyrus Raymond Cobb

• BENTE
    find the time... find lots of time richar4d loves to talk about eggin and recepies. it is really easy here is something he posted about the living cookbook it may help

FAQ's, Living Cookbook, #1, Richard Fl

1 I have been using Living Cookbook since 10/'04 and have been eggstremely happy with it. Currently have 5000+ BGE/BBQ related recipes that I will be happy to share. Here is a lnk to the Naked Wizard's $3 coupon. They are PC based and there is currently NOT a Mac version.
    2 http://www.nakedwhiz.com/lcookbook.htm
    3 Here is a link to a recipe software review I came across a few years ago.
    4 http://cookbook-recipe-software-review.toptenreviews.com/
    5 Here is a link to the Living Cookbook. They have a free demo that lets you play 25 times. Just do not close it each time and will work until you buy it.
    6 http://www.radiumforums.com/products.html
    7 In my opinion, $$$ well spent.
    8 Copy and paste recipes is a breeze. Contact me off-line if you have more questions.

Recipe Type
    Help

Recipe Source
    Author: Richard Fl

Source: BGE Forum, 2008/05/16

happy eggin

TB

Anderson S.C.

Tyrus Raymond Cobb

• Cecil
    I will, thank you. Can you come to Nashville to run my liquor store while I call Richard? ;)

Walt
  • BENTE
    not sure if you want the inmates running the asylam {sp}

happy eggin

TB

Anderson S.C.

Tyrus Raymond Cobb

• Richard Fl
    Richard Fl Posts: 8,297
    Update: The $3 coupon went away and the 25 free looks has become a 30 day trail. Yes I am still around to help if need be and yes I am still on the old version 1.5. I still get scared of "NEW" versions of software. If it ain't broke etc....
  • Richard Fl
    You could just get me to Nashville and I will help with Living Cookbook and also help reduce the inventory in the store. hehe
  • Sounds like the LC folks figured folks not shutting down the program got to be too long a trial period.

GG
  • I wonder if you folks that have been using this forever have ever combined databases. I would imagine their would be a ton of recipes if that were done.

Richard, have you tried the OCR yet? Did it work for you?

Kent
  • Richard Fl
    Thanks, Just have not taken the time to work with i.,
  • Cecil
    Good thinking, thankfully (knock on wood) we are reducing and increasing inventory all the time!

Walt
  • Cecil
    You might be surprised (or not) how many of my 'daily' customers want to work here-yeah right!

Walt
  • OP ED:

Wouldn't it be nice to get some recipes in here on THIS forum? (wink, wink)

Heck I'll bet a bunch of those recipes were probably lifted from posts right here on THIS forum! Of course doing that is now much easier since your webmasters provided an advanced high performance full text search feature).

Where is the CONTRIBUTION from THIS community TO THIS community?

Are these kinds of posts to further SELLING someone's product, for profit, really what you guys want?

Please correct me if you think I am speaking out of turn.... but please... hawking the "FREE 30 day trial!"

Why not just post the URL and the 800 number and a big graphic with a link around it to click!... you could even get BILLY MAYS!... "CALL NOW, WHILE SUPPLIES LAST!"

You want a real living cookbook? THIS community is the place where one should be, open and FREE. We as your webmasters would help, but we can't do it alone, especially if no one submits recipes or votes on them!

Is this forum, and the traffic (eyeballs) it garners, to become just a platform to be exploited to hawk products and post links to peoples personal or business sites (a-la my site url is in my signature)?

I personally think it would be nice to have members of this COMMUNITY volunteer and help fill out some of the content here. The whole idea of a community is people helping each other, not just looking out for themselves.

Don't get me wrong, there are many outstanding forum members that work tirelessly to reply to questions and help others. I just wish we could "condense" some of this amazing knowledge to fill out some content here.

Ok, I've spoken my peace... thanks for giving me your ear.
  • Cecil
    You are out of turn, what I want is a way to index all of my recipes, some from here and some from other places. Many of us contribute to this forum, so nothing is "lifted"- come on!
    As far as "Billy Mays" we talk about what we like(DP, BGE accessories, charcoal...)- sorry but you are WAY off base.

Walt
  • Walt,

So with over 300,000 posts archived here, and fully text searchable, many of which contain recipes, and you are positive that not one has ever been "lifted" - come on! ;)

P.S. I just checked the forum post count and it is 348,759... almost 350 THOUSAND SEARCHABLE posts.
  • Cecil
    Come on yourself, why do you say 'lifted' since they are put out for all of us. I will post a recipe and if someone puts it in their file, I do not think it is 'lifted' I am proud.

Walt
  • Walt,

Perhaps I have misspoken or was not clear, in any case I was not trying to offend anyone... I'm saying there are many recipes embedded in posts that could be perused and used in "for profit" or "for exposure" ventures (as in using a digest of recipes to help drive traffic to other websites), basically "piggy-backing" off the forum traffic and popularity to further some other venture.

I know you guys have some valid criticisms or wish certain things were improved or features added to this forum. But those things take time... your webmasters time... and there is very little compensation available for the amount of work needed to implement some of these ideas. The majority of new development work that has been done on the forum has been mostly pro-bono by your webmasters... and we don't run banners or do any other advertising.

It does, however, sometimes bother me, and perhaps I'm speaking out of turn (I apologize if so), that others "exploit" the popularity and traffic of the forum in various ways for their own ventures.
  • Cecil
    We are on the same page, I love this forum and really appreciate the behind the scenes work that is done. Unfortunately when we 'talk' on the computer, so much is lost in translation.
    All is well.

Walt
  • stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    if your point is that this forum is a valuable resource, i'd say you are right. and if it is, it is BECAUSE of the content provided by the users and because of their help. if you are not getting compensated properly, it is because whoever is compensating you doesn't value the forum as highly as you do, apparently. there's no other way to square, that i can see.

i agree that the forum is valuable. i agree that your providing the forum and maintaining it has value. i think it has become a valuable marketing tool for BGE, and should not be treated lightly by those who benefit monetarily (directly or indirectly) by it's being here.

but because nearly ALL the recipes and tips and advice and help comes from forum members, i think it is perfectly fine to link to someone else's site so that we don't have to explain a method/cook/set-up/recipe for the thousandth time.

if that content were hosted here, we wouldn't have to link off site.

if the recipes were a little more "up front" in terms of navigation, or placement, or whatever, that'd be a step toward making it more integral and more vital. there's a reason WHY it languishes. i just don't quite know what it is, but like all things, it is a problem to be solved. i don't think asking folks to use it will create a upswell. short-term maybe. but providing content and making it accessible are the crux of website design.

links in someone's signature... forbid them if it is not in the interest of this site to have them. otherwise, we would understand that there is no problem.or enact a policy...

there seem to be many frustrations being vented, all prompted by the living cookbook reference. seems out of left field and out of proportion to the 'offense'.

i appreciate all your efforts. but i can't help feel like the folks that provide all your content have been scolded or admonished.... not a good strategy for building a community.

you already have by far the most active ceramic cooker forum. and the improvements over the past couple years have been vast. if you are toiling without proper compensation, the discussion needs to be with another entity other than the population here, though.
    ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • BENTE
    well i was not aware that a simple posting would cause such a ruckus... i mean all i did was answer a question which i had a opinion on. sorry if that offended you in any way i have been lucky to have the oppertunity to meet and interact with all of these nice eggers over the last couple years.. i have only passed on info that i got by asking the same questions.. i kind of thought that was kind of the way to treat people around here. kind of like passing on valuable info to those who need it...

i can see the part of my post that made you mad

"Where is the CONTRIBUTION from THIS community TO THIS community?

Are these kinds of posts to further SELLING someone's product, for profit, really what you guys want?"

let me respond by saying this

i have not made any money by what has gone on on this forum. no one here has ever written me a check, i have no web site, nor do i have a blog.. i thought my contribution to this community was me participating in the active disscusions around this site. and helping other eggers by answering their question as honestly as i can. also by giving them the same advice i got from here, which tends to be the same advice i use here for my own family..

i am sorry if i offended you by linking other sites here on your site. but if you don't want people putting links in their posts remove that option from what we can do.. and the first people you should start with should be those who will not post a recepie here but will post something like "if you want the recepie visit my blog" or "site" and take away their ability to do that.. why would you choose me???? to be your whipping boy when i only post links to places that will tell someone how to do a step by step on their topic.. if you do not understand that.. then i would suggest you come in here and field a couple turkey questions over the next few weeks and see how long it is.... until you point someone to a step by step link.

and as far as "lifting" the recepies straight from here yes that is what alot of us do if it offends you then change that also. there are alot of people on here i like and i have always strived to try to help as many other fellow egger as i can.. do i like answereing the same question over and over again no! but will i continue to do it you bet.....

the recepie section of this forum is incredibly user unfriendly i have posted a recepie and i have commented on a couple.. unfortunatly it is not productive to try to comment on all of the recepies in the recepie section because it is so hard to manuver through

once again thanks for all of ya'll's hard work making this forum a friendly place i am sorry i caught you during an unfriendly time

happy eggin

TB

Anderson S.C.

Tyrus Raymond Cobb