Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Frito Pie

Boccie
Boccie Posts: 186
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
fritopie.jpg
<p />We had Frito Pie tonight. Basically your favorite chili over Frito Corn Chips. It was good.[p]Our chili recipe was:
1 1/2lb Ground Chuck
1lb Homemade Pork Sausage
2 Large Diced Onions
2 Cloves Garlic
2 small cans Tomato Paste
1 28oz can Diced Tomato's
1 28oz can Crushed Tomato's
2 tsp Salt
1 Tbsp Black Pepper
3 Tbsp Chili Powder (approx...not really measured)
Water[p]Brown the meat and drain.[p]Saute onions and garlic, then add everything together in pot and add enough water to fill the pot. (we used the 5qt dutch oven)[p]Get egg up to 300deg, added Hickory for the smoking.[p]Cooked 4 hours, stirring every hour. Add water if necessary.[p]Put a Frito Corn Chips in bowl (about 1/3 full), top with chili and cheese.[p]:-) Enjoy

Comments

• Schneid
    Schneid Posts: 24
    Boccie,
    Chili is definately the call for today---sleeting here in Biloxi. What was that pot you Egged the chili in? Ceramic? Metal? Wife will not allow me to use her indoor stuff so I have been suffering through with throw away aluminum pans---not esthetically pleasing,and occassionally dangerously messy. I had a tasty pork tenderloin yesterday and planning an Egged calzone tomorrow. Could use some of that chili!

• Shelby
    Shelby Posts: 803
    Schneid,
    Sleeting in Biloxi? Not so over here in New Orleans. Is it my imagination or are there not many folks on here from our neck of the woods?

• Schneid
    Schneid Posts: 24
    Shelby,
    Nearly everytime I have someone over, they are getting their taste of BGE for first time. The guests yesterday told my wife during the cook that they did not like pork---they are hooked. The sleeting is a light little pelting, hope it does not make black ice on the roads. Gotta go get some rest---Feb and the Mardi Gras are coming up....

• nikkig
    nikkig Posts: 514
    Schneid,
    We used a 5qt. Lodge cast iron dutch oven (with the lid off so it could get the smoke flavor). It's a bit nippy here in West Virginia too. High today was all of about 25, low around 10 tonight. Chili was just the right meal for today![p]~nikki

• Ryan
    Ryan Posts: 243
    When I was in school at Baylor U. in Waco, Tx there was a bbq joint just South of campus that had something vaguely similar. The place is called Vitek's (small mom and pop operation).[p]In a 9"x9" styro clamshell he'd put in a thick base layer of frito's, add a heap of bbq chopped beef, bbq beans on top of that, and cheese, onions, and peppers to finish it off. Oops, forgot to mention the hot links as well.[p]They called it a "gut pack". Judging by my appearance a few months after discovering that place, the name is aptly suited.