Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Beef Jerky time!!!

Options
Porkchop
Porkchop Posts: 155
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
took out my jerky. fire actually went out around 6ish i think. there was some done, most of it wasn't quite tho. used stogie's basic marinade with double the cayenne and some other ingredients, and it is the best jerky i've ever had. considering that i screwed up some, i know i will be doing this again (and again and again).[p]what i learned:[p]1) cut it smaller. i left it as it was sliced from the butcher. i should have cut those pieces in half to dry, instead of leaving them about the width of my hand. thickness is good tho, about 3/8 inch. [p]2)give them more room. i hanged the meat on bamboo skewers, and didn't make enough room between strips, so they didn't dry as well as they could have.[p]3)i can't believe i managed my fire pretty well. next time i'll stop futzing with the stack so much.[p]so, i'll probably do about 1/2 as much next time (5#). Please, anyone let me know if you have experience with pork, chicken, or turkey jurkey! or, maybe duck...

Comments

• Stogie
    Stogie Posts: 279
    Options
    jerkytrays.jpg
    <p />Porkchop,[p]Glad they came out OK!![p]I think all of your ideas are great and will help to shorten the drying time.[p]The pic is of my new set-up with extruded aluminum "plates". After 20 years of hanging with toothpicks, this is so much easier and you can fit 10 times as much on the smoker. You still have to rotate, but not nearly the hassle of hanging.[p]In my recipe, I actually use Hab powder(make my own, yet another thing you can do with the smoker!) and 1 teaspoon will flavor about 5 pounds of meat. It ain't real hot...but just right for the masses.[p]Stogie
  • Stogie,[p]Looks great! Where did you get those extruded plates?[p]Thanks!
    Brian

• djm5x9
    djm5x9 Posts: 1,342
    Options
    Skwerl X:[p]They look like pizza screens. Available from Internet restaurant supply houses as well as those in your area.

[/b]