Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Japanese "Pizza"

BlueSmoke
BlueSmoke Posts: 1,678
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I was “exploring” when I came across this recipe at http://www.japan-guide.com/r/e1.html. Knowing the wide-ranging tastes we Eggers share I want to pass it along. Haven’t made it yet, but I plan to. (Measurements have been converted from metric to US.) [p]Okonomiyaki is a mixture between pancake and pizza. "Okonomi" means "as you like". This refers to the ingredients. [p]Ingredients:
Dough
- 12 ounces flour
- 1 cup water
- 2 eggs
- Cabbage, 4 leaves with stem removed, cut into thin (about 3/16 inch) strips[p]
Rather than list all the possible fillings from the original recipe, I’ll just say they range from meat, seafood and poultry to mushrooms, vegetables and even seaweed.[p]Sauces
Brown okonomiyaki sauce*
Mayonnaise [p]* May not be available in Western supermarkets; but you should be able to find it in Japanese grocery stores that exist in most large European and American cities. [p]Preparation:
- Mix the water, flour, eggs and the cabbage strips together.
- You may now add more ingredients to the dough: e.g. seafood, cut in little pieces, ground meat, cut mushrooms, etc.
- Fry the dough like a pancake in a small frying pan. (Or on a griddle or pizza stone?)
- Before turning the okonomiyaki over, and while the dough is still quite soft, you may put other ingredients on top of the dough.
- Turn the okonomiyaki.
- When fried well, serve the okonomiyaki with mayonnaise and okonomiyaki sauce. [p]Ken

[ul][li]Japanese "Pizza"[/ul]