Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Split cook for Ribs... Anybody Tried??

Options
EmandM'sDad
EmandM'sDad Posts: 648
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Has anybody tried cooking ribs in 2 stages? I need ribs for a party early Sunday(11:00)I was thinking about smoking and foiling late saturday, overnite in the frig.Followed by a finish with sauce on Sunday morning. Has anyone tried this?? I'm open to sugggestions!

Comments

• Billy Grill Eggster
    Options
    EmandM'sDad,

Sounds like a plan, you'll need at least an hour with sauce.
    Remember to add moisture to ribs before you foil them.
    Billy
    Wilson, NC
    Large BGE - WiFi Stoker - Thermapen - 250 Cookbooks

• gdenby
    gdenby Posts: 6,239
    Options
    I've tried something similar twice. Once, I cooked till finished, and froze the ribs. Then thawed and returned to the Egg for about 20 minutes before saucing. They turned out pretty good, but not quite as good as the ones that had come straight off the Egg. The second time I cooked them to within about a half hour before I would usually sauce them. That is, they were cooked thru, but still had a bit of fat left to render. Didn't foil them, but used plastic wrap. Finished at a slightly higher dome, about 300, with frequent moping and then saucing. Not quite as tender as I would have likes, but the flavor was pretty good. So my guess is that your method has a pretty good chance of success.
  • Celtic Wolf
    Celtic Wolf Posts: 9,773
    Options
    Is the party at your house? If so, get up early!! prep them before you go to bed. You can take a nap while they are in the 3 hour smoke stage.

Trust me you'll be happier.
  • EmandM'sDad
    Options
    Yea I know. party's not at home. i was actually thinking about going mobile with the Small for the finish. I guess I'll smoke and foil at home, then finish at the party. If i cut the foil time to include tranport in the cooler i should be OK. That's probably what I'll do. just wanted to try to sleep in on Sunday a little
  • DynaGreaseball
    Options
    I haven't found a way that is as good as full cook and finish on the egg, but I almost did. The best tasting and the most tender was, as CWM suggested: Take them just short of the sauce stage, let'em cool a bit, seal them in Food Saver bag (not necessary to suck 'em unless they're going to be frozen for awhile), refrigerate 'til morning. Then put them back on the egg and finish for about a full half hour after saucing. Might want to use 300°. This works best for me. Good luck.

P.S. The oven might even be easier the next morning, for a late sleeper. :P I've never done them in the oven, but I'd think that all the flavor from the egg will have already been absorbed.