Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Tuna Steaks?

Options
QBabe
QBabe Posts: 2,275
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Picked up a couple of small tuna steaks to do on the small egg. I've never cooked tuna before...anybody have any favorite recipes? Also, what temp should I pull it? I am assuming will do it direct, but correct me if that's not right, please...[p]It's a chilly 49° here in N. Central Florida, but a beautiful sunny day! [p]QBabe
:~)

Comments

• Tim M
    Tim M Posts: 2,410
    Options
    QBabe,[p]You will get two different ways to cook tuna and it depends how you like your fish.[p]Some like it red or raw in the center. Cooking to about 110° gives a red center. I like to do mine like a steak and sear it until the center is 120° or just off from pink to white in color. I like Dizzy Pigs Tsunami rub on tuna. I do mine direct with a 400-450 fire.[p]Tim
  • JimW
    JimW Posts: 450
    Options
    QBabe,
    You will need a hot fire, at least 500 - 600 degrees. Tuna cooks really fast and a well done tuna steak is almost like buying a can of it. [p]Rub them with a little sesame oil, salt and pepper. Grill them for about 1 minute and 40 seconds a side for medium rare. Serve with wasabi paste and soy sauce mixed.
    JimW

• The Other Dave
    Options
    QBabe, Olive oil, kosher salt, LOTS of fresh cracked pepper. Kind like a pepper steak. VERY, VERY hot coals, direct. Coupla minutes each side (1" thick or better) and call it done! BTW, I like mine with a bit of "sushi" in the middle, so I might cook it even less!