Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

smoking an uncooked ham

Bosco
Bosco Posts: 1
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I just ordered an uncooked ham from my favorite butcher. He will cure it in brine for a week or so and then I will pick it up and put it on my Egg. Do I need to use two cook cycles (the first to get it to the normal cooked ham stage and the second to do the finishing/glazing)or is there a better way to do it all in one go?

Comments

• Sundown
    Sundown Posts: 2,980
    Doing a fresh ham is like cooking a roast even if you brine it.

Unlike the shoulder and butt the ham doesn't have a lot of fat and connective tissue so low and slow may not be the best bet for you. It'll just dry out.

You can add all of the smoke you want just don't expect the 'hammy' flavor your accustomed to with a cured ham.

Treat it like a roast and you'll be fine. Good luck.
  • stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    he's just brining it, or actually curing it?

a "real" ham (not simply the cut of meat, but the cured, pink, smoked ham) is traditionally cold smoked for days, even weeks on end. it's not cooked at this point.

then later you heat the thing up and cook it...
    ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    holy cr^p. a direct, pithy, intelligent answer with no wise-assery.

are you ok? did you bump your head? do i need to come check in on you?

heh heh heh

(don't forget go vote today, so we can cancel out.)
    ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • How did this turn out for you? I have a 25lb. "corned"ham, which I belive is brined but uncooked. I am looking for temp and time cook.. Thanks