Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

3M77

Options
Okeejohn
Okeejohn Posts: 297
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Can I reglue my Rutland gasket with 3M77 or do I have to get a newe gasket. It's still good, just the glue failed. Also, where can I get 3M77?? Home Depot??

Okeejohn
Okeechobee, Fl

Comments

• Rascal
    Rascal Posts: 3,923
    Options
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,754
    Options
    i believe some here have used high temp silicone on the rutland with success.
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Rascal
    Rascal Posts: 3,923
    Options
    It's interesting to note that TNW recommends applying a Rutland gasket to the lower of the mating surfaces only (base unit, not the dome).
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    Yes, I have seen the 3M 77 at home depot.

I used some high temp silicone that Stike had leftover.
    It has worked great. I saw his (rutland) gasket not too long ago, he's had it for a couple years and it still looked new to me.
  • Fidel
    Fidel Posts: 10,172
    Options
    I tried the Super77 with the Rutland at first and did not have good results.

The silicone adhesive is the way to go with the Rutland gasket.
  • stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    Options
    super 77 needs a surface to adhere to. it's designed for close contact, films, paper, etc.

it is nothing more than rubber cement, truth be told, but because it sprays, you get a very thin (but tenacious) layer. great for non-porous stuff. it works (okay) with the felt gaskets because the felt accepts the spray and keeps it in a layer. the rutland is woven, though, with big gaps in the weave, and those areas won't contact the rim when you cement it. if you use a thicker adhesive, it will fill and bridge the weave, and adhere. IMHO, the automotive silicone is the best option for the rutland. i think the ceramic wicks the water from the regular rutland adhesive (it's latex), and it can dry before being cured properly unless you install it perfectly and the adhesive is fresh. when the rutland adhesive fails, it fails by cleaving off entirely. you don't ever find a really strongly adhered section remaining. it just slides off.

mine failed (the rutland stock adhesive), and so i tubed a line of high-temp (600 degree) silicone adhesive on to the failed gasket (with the rutland adhesive still stuck to it) and pressed it back on to my uncleaned rim. it has held ever since.
    ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante