Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Dome alignment with base

Egg And I
Egg And I Posts: 110
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Put on the nomex gasket (twice, but that's another story...hint: Use the 77) and of course needed to adjust the bands.

I've got the up-n-down bands adjustment correct....good tug on the dollar bill all the way around (some more than others but nowhere is it loose.

But the dome is slightly out of lateral alignment with the base by about 3/16 inch or so...at 3 o'clock the top is displaced to the inside of the base and at 9 o'clock to the outside.

This isn't new, was that way before I removed the bands to re-gasket. Any way to bring the two into better alignment? The overlap is certainly sufficient to seal, maybe I should just ignore it. Eggers aren't compulsive or anything, right? :unsure:

Comments

• gdenby
    gdenby Posts: 6,239
    The only thing I would worry about is that the bolts by the hinge spring need some adjustment. From the Egg FAQ:

"Sometimes through normal use the two nuts holding the spring to the lower edge of the band can loosen. If these nuts are no longer in a parallel line, tighten them until they are parallel again."

Mine got a little uneven, and the dome started opening somewhat skewed. A careful loosening followed by dome reposition, and a re-tighten got it pretty well lined up again.
  • Sounds like you and I are having the same issues. Take a look at the spring bolts on the back of the hinge as gdenby suggests, I didn't notice them being loose, but something just didn't feel right whenever I opened or closed the lid.

100_3197.jpg

100_3198.jpg
  • Thanks for the suggestion and pix; on checking, though, all of those hinge and spring bolts are tight. There's no wobble in the lid, as I'd expect if something was loose, and it feels "solid"; it just closes out of alignment.
  • Tighten the bottom carriage bolt so that the bottom band is secure. Then move the Dome around so the alignment is as good as it can get. Sometimes they can be "out of round," so just get it as nice as possible. Then tighten the upper carriage bolt and band, paying special attention to keep the upper band as high on the Dome as possible while not moving the EGG too much and messing up the alignment.
    That should fix your issue.
    If it didn't bother you too much before, it probably won't bother you too much now.