Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Brisket question/help

Options
Vogs
Vogs Posts: 41
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I recently cooked a 4.8 lb brisket flat. I let it sit overnight with a dry rub. I put it on the egg with a dome temperature of 250°. I monitored the grid temperature and it was around 225°. After several hours it hit a plateu temperature of about 157° and stayed there for about 5 hours. After about another 1.5 hours it hit an internal temperature of 175°. I wrapped the brisket in foil and added some basting type juices and put back on gril for about 45 minutes when it hit a temperature of 190° I took it off the egg and put it in a warm cooler and let it sit for 1 hour. The flavor of the brisket was excellent but it was way too dry. Any ideas why it turned out so dry? Any suggestions on how to improve? I know brisket is one of the most challenging cuts of meat to cook and it is driving me crazy that I can't cook one as moist as I would like.[p]Thanks for any help,
Vogs

Comments

• JSlot
    JSlot Posts: 1,218
    Options
    Vogs,[p]Did you cook it direct or indirect? I cook brisket at ~275° indirect with no foil. I pull it at 190-195° and the juice usually runs out of it.[p]Jim
  • Vogs
    Options
    JSlot,
    Cooked indirect with inverted plate setter and a drip pan with water.[p]Vogs

• BajaTom
    BajaTom Posts: 1,269
    Options
    Vogs,
    The first brisket came out the same way. After some research I discovered I had bought a select grade brisket. The next time I cooked a brisket I bought a choice grade and smoked it exactly the same way as my first cook. This time it was tender, tasty and moist. I think the better grade made all the diffrence in the cook.

• Vogs
    Options
    BajaTom,[p]I am not sure what the grade was. Next time I will make sue it is choice and see how it turns out.[p]Thanks,
    Vogs