Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Could this be the reason I keep losing gaskets?

Options
swamprb
swamprb Posts: 97
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
OK, here's the deal, I've lost 3 felt gaskets and a Rutland gasket since I brought this cursed thing home from the Evergreen Eggfest in September. I've never had any gasket issues with my old Large or Imperial Kamado with the spring assist hinge and this one is trying my patience. Try as I might I keep getting a gap on the right side of the dome at the 2 O clock position after seating and tightening the band bolts-and Yes, they are bent. Today after firing up the Egg for an indirect rib cook, I noticed the bolts that hold the springs are loose, tension on them, but not tightened securely. I looked at my other Large and the IK and the spring bolts are tight.

[/img]100_3196.jpg

100_3197.jpg

100_3198.jpg

What do you think?

Each time I re-seat the dome and bottom after a few times opening and closing I get that gap. After this cook and when it cools I'll tighten the spring bolt nuts.
Just an FYI, It's probably a good thing to check all the fasteners on those new Eggs.

Comments

• Fidel
    Fidel Posts: 10,172
    Options
    That could be part of the issue.

You need to tighten the inside nut (the one closest to the hinge and bolt head), but only snug it - don't put much pressure on it or the lid will be very difficult to open. As loose as those are I'm a bit surprised you aren't having issues keeping the lid open.

After you tighten the first nut, then you can tighten the ones on the ends of the bolts to get them tight against the spring.
  • Frank from Houma
    Options
    That may be a contributor. The real test is the dollar bill test. It's difficult to tell for sure from your photo but it looks like your band is not snug against the flange. I would ensure that the band is snug against the flange around the perimeter of the base and dome before tightening anything up. After all is tightened do a dollar bill test. Next time you fry a gasket, call the mothership and order a nomex - you will be happy with it.

Here is one way to get the band snug against the dome flange. Use a clamp in reverse and the weight of the Egg to assist.

101_2462640x480.jpg
  • swamprb
    Options
    I'll try the clamp and see if that helps.
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    brian-
    I have the "crooked bolts" at the spring hinge like you do and it hasn't been a problem in my case.

It seems that whenever I have had a problem with the dome not sealing completely it has started in the back near the hinge (just to the right of the hinge as you face the hinge) but it would "spread" to other places from there. Adjusting the bands and in some cases replacing a fried gasket always corrected the situation.
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,759
    Options
    those spring bolts dont look bent, they are just loose, the only thing it will affect is holding the dome up, it wont hurt the gasket. if there is a space at the gasket in the rear near the hinge you can minimize it by reseating the bands, with a screwdriver inserted in the hinge you can pry the bands up and down when making the adjustment.
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it