Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Draft Door???

Options
Neil Gunn
Neil Gunn Posts: 93
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Just got my new large Thursday, and did a couple of tenderloins and a spatchcocked chicken yesterday with pretty good results. However, I'm wondering just how freely the draft door should move. Both the door and screen seem extremely tight, I had the best results adjusting the draft door by tapping it with the grid lifter. Also, the draft door is not level. It kind of sits at an angle to the bottom of the egg, with one side being noticeably higher than the other. I don't see how that would matter, but just curious.

Barry

Comments

• Zippylip
    Zippylip Posts: 4,768
    Options
    tight is good as it will allow you to cut off all air when you need to, & also adjust with accuracy when you are doing low & slows. I adjust mine the same way but using the ash tool, just tap it either way for fine adjustments.
    happy in the hut
    West Chester Pennsylvania
  • BobS
    BobS Posts: 2,485
    Options
    The draft door is tight enough that you are not in danger of moving it with a casual touch, but I would not call it tight.

Be sure that the screen is inside the door.

It might be helpful if you could post a picture.
  • Zippylip
    Zippylip Posts: 4,768
    Options
    Bob, my large was made before the addition of the screen door, I only have the metal door & it is pretty tight which I like. However, I recently got a mini & it has both doors & they are extremely loose, a stiff breeze could blow the door open, do you have this problem with the combination of both doors, I am guessing they had to make the tracks wider to accomodate 2 sliders? I think it causes an increased cool-down time as there is still air getting in
    happy in the hut
    West Chester Pennsylvania
  • thirdeye
    thirdeye Posts: 7,428
    Options
    I recall that when the screen doors came out, many existing owners purchased them to add their Eggs. Since their track was not intended for the extra thickness, the fit was tight, and in come cases too tight.

The first thought is to just widen the track with a screwdriver, which will work, but a better fix is to use some round stock and gently tap it into the track. You should actually bend the rod to match the radius of the track. Anyway, This will open it up evenly. Gently is the key here as you have to pry the round stock back out. Once your doors are re-installed, a little tap here or there can snug up the fit if needed.
    Happy Trails
    ~thirdeye~

Barbecue is not rocket surgery