Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Help with cooking Filets Mignon on BGE

Options
newMike
newMike Posts: 3
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I have a few Filets to cook for the wife and kids for New Years dinner. They are about one inch thick each. What temp should i shoot for on the BGE (500 degrees, maybe 750?), how long on high heat/ low heat? Does anyone have any tips to share with me?[p]How about a marinade? Would you recommend a wet or a dry rub?[p]Thanks for every-ones help![p]Michael

Comments

• Rumrunner
    Options
    NewMike,
    500° is fine. Kosher salt, granulated garlic and black pepper is all you need. Approx four minutes, up to you on doneness, per side. I like the "KISS" method of cooking beef and not covering up the flavor, but enhancing it. Season before hand and cook at room temp.

• NewMike,[p]This may be too late for New Years, but...[p]On a medium (other sizes may be different), at 700 F I go 2.5 minutes each side and then dwell for 14 minutes with the vents closed. I wrap the filets in foil and eat them a few minutes later. If I am cooking extra to reheat later I do not wrap them in foil. If the temperature is 750 I go 2.25 minutes a side, at 650 maybe 2.75 minutes. The filet will be juicy inside but an even grey color.[p]The wife has gotten to where she only buys filets. They are not too big and there is nothing wasted.[p]Enjoy!
  • JSlot
    JSlot Posts: 1,218
    Options
    Steve R.,[p]That pretty much kills them, doesn't it? LOL! Dwell 3-5 minutes for med rare.[p]I think a nice filet sounds good for dinner tonight![p]Jim
  • JSlot,[p]They are by no means med rare but killed? Heavens no! Tender. Juicy. You do not need a knife to cut them. [p]If I go to a steak house I order med rare. But not so if I cook it on the egg.[p]I just kept incresing the dwell time until we did not get any blood.[p]Again, this is on a med. I fill the charcoal up to the bottom of the air holes. I suspect different sizes, different charcoal loads and different thickness of meat require different times.[p]steve r.[p]