Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

How to cook a boston butt or fresh pork shoulder

Options
Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I have never cooked a boston butt or fresh pork shoulder on my Big Green Egg. I have successfully cooked ribs(six hours at 225 degrees and wrapped in foil for the last three hours) but that is the extent of my efforts. I used a dry rub on the ribs and was going to do the same with the butt/shoulder. Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks, Bob

Comments

• JodyMo
    JodyMo Posts: 46
    Options
    Robert E. Keller,[p]After doing a few I made a page showing how I have done it.
    The link is below. I don't claim for this to be the last word- it's just the way I have been doing it. I must admit that reading Elder Ward's method gives a really good insight to the things you need to be thinking about.
    Give it a try. You have to start somewhere!
    Good luck.
    -JodyMo

[ul][li]shoulder method[/ul]
  • JodyMo,
    Thanks for your help. It looks like I am going to need some type of drip pan. I will have to figure that out for myself. Bob

• Mac  in NC
    Mac in NC Posts: 287
    Options
    Robert E. Keller, For your drip pans, try using disposable pie plates. Work wonderfully and just throw away for quick cleanup. Pull up Elder Ward's "How to make pulled pork" in the archives. Pay close attention to the fire building section. Follow the instructions to the "T" and you can ask for no better BBQ. Did my first butt two weeks ago following these exact instructions and I could not have asked for better results. Mac

• Dave's Not Here
    Options
    PorkButt0626.jpg
    <p />Robert E. Keller,
    Yep, Mac offers good advice. I did my first pulled butt, according to Elder, on Monday for a NYE party on Tuesday, and it was wonderful. 200° for 8 hours and then it started to rise slowly on its own. Internal hit 199° after 12 hours. Yummy, yummy, yummy, I've got pork in my tummy.
    Dave.