Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Green Chili Questions

Options
NCSU-Q
NCSU-Q Posts: 104
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Looking to make the green chili recipe that I found recommended on the forum at this web link:
http://playingwithfireandsmoke.blogspot.com/1998/06/green-chili.html
A few issues...
I can find Pablano Peppers, but can not find Serano or Anehiem... substitue more Pablanos & some Jalepenos? Add one Habanero for heat?

Also, the recipe calls for 5 lb of meat... i assume this means it makes 15-20 servings, right?

Also thinking about replacing some of the pork with breakfast sausage, thoughts?

I am entering this in a cook-off among friends... any other suggestions to make it a winner would be appreciated.

Comments

• Zippylip
    Zippylip Posts: 4,768
    Options
    I think a Jalepeno or Cayanne would be a good substitute for a Serano, they are all close on the Scoville Unit chart for heat, of course they may have different non-heat flavors, but substituting more Pablanos isn't going to give you the heat, they are very low on the scale - good luck:

Scoville scale Scoville rating Type of pepper
    15,000,000-16,000,000 Pure capsaicin[5]
    8,600,000-9,100,000 Various capsaicinoids (e.g. homocapsaicin, homodihydrocapsaicin, nordihydrocapsaicin)
    2,000,000-5,300,000 Standard U.S. Grade pepper spray[6], FN 303 irritant ammunition
    855,000-1,050,000 Naga Jolokia, Dorset Naga [7][8][9][10]
    350,000-580,000 Red Savina Habanero[11][12]
    100,000-350,000 Habanero chili,[13] Scotch Bonnet Pepper, [13] Datil pepper, Rocoto, Jamaican Hot Pepper [6], African Birdseye
    50,000-100,000 Thai Pepper, Malagueta Pepper, Chiltepin Pepper, Pequin Pepper
    30,000-50,000 Cayenne Pepper, Ají pepper [13], Tabasco pepper, some Chipotle peppers
    10,000-23,000 Serrano Pepper, some Chipotle peppers
    2,500-8,000 Jalapeño Pepper, Guajillo pepper, New Mexican varieties of Anaheim pepper,[14] Paprika (hungarian wax pepper)[15]
    500-2,500 Anaheim pepper [16], Poblano Pepper, Rocotillo Pepper
    100-500 Pimento[6], Pepperoncini
    0 No heat, Bell pepper [6]
    happy in the hut
    West Chester Pennsylvania
  • Gunnar
    Gunnar Posts: 2,307
    Options
    What you’re getting with the variety of peppers is flavors. Surprising your local store carries Poblanos, but not Anaheim’s. Anaheim’s are mild; you could add more Poblanos are even some mild canned green chilis. Serrano’s are hotter than Jalapenos. Add here to your own taste. They are even some green salsas with heat that would go with a green chili. I made a recent batch adding some Hatch (brand) Salsa.
    LBGE      Katy (Houston) TX
  • jeffinsgf
    jeffinsgf Posts: 1,259
    Options
    For anyone who is a fan of green chili, I'll pass this along.

The principle ingredient in any green chili is tomatillo. Same with salsa verde. Tomatillo has to be the easiest vegetable in the world to grow. I planted two small plants this spring. I had tomatillos ready to eat in about 3 weeks, and had a steady, abundant supply from the first of June until yesterday's killing frost. We ate salsa verde fresh all summer, have made several batches of green chili, and have a freezer full of both salsa and cut up tomatillos.

Besides being easy to grow, the plant, the flower and the fruit are all beautiful. Plant a couple plants, give it a trellis to climb, and stand back.
  • thirdeye
    thirdeye Posts: 7,428
    Options
    DSC01692a.jpg

If you can't find fresh Anaheim's, try to locate frozen ones, the next option would be canned ones. Along with the tomatillos, they are important for color and flavor. I would use about 1-1/2 to 2 cups of the frozen or canned Anaheim's.

Green chili is not as thick as red chili is....I've never measured the number of bowls. I think 20 may be a good guess. I usually wind up snacking on the meat around the edges of the roasting pan (the center won't be completely done when it goes into the broth), so add an extra pound. You will thank me for this later... :laugh:

The serranos are only for heat, the other peppers add more flavor than heat. If you can't find them, use any hot peppers you like.

Never tried sausage in any. If you do, let up know how it comes out.
    Happy Trails
    ~thirdeye~

Barbecue is not rocket surgery
  • NCSU-Q
    NCSU-Q Posts: 104
    Options
    I'll try a few more stores to track down the anahiems... sounds like they are pretty critical to the final product. I'll probably try the breakfast sausage and will let you know how it works
  • AZRP
    AZRP Posts: 10,116
    Options
    Check with Food Lion they cater pretty heavily to the Hispanic market. Also they might just call them green chiles not Anaheims, do you know what they look like? Any place that sell poblanos would carry Anaheims, ask the produce guy. -RP
  • Gunnar
    Gunnar Posts: 2,307
    Options
    Here ya go.....
    Anaheim_Pepper1.jpg
    LBGE      Katy (Houston) TX
  • Ross in Ventura
    Options
    DSCN2266.jpg
    DSCN2265.jpg
    This is Green Chili Stew, I cooked it at Eggs By the Bay in June it got rave revues.

Ross
    sc027b4a05.jpg