Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Brisket Question

Options
Boogie
Boogie Posts: 137
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
So I just pulled off my first brisket. I foiled it and put it in a cooler. Now the Whiz says to let it sit for at least an hour before cutting. But if I am not going to be eating it tonight, should I slice, then fridge? Or should I fridge, then slice tomorrow? I didn't get it on at the time I wanted, so eating tonight is out of the question.

Comments

• Beli
    Beli Posts: 10,751
    Options
    This is what I would do. Slice against the grain add some apple juice and some sauce if you want. Foil & keep for eating later.
  • Boogie
    Boogie Posts: 137
    Options
    That is exactly what I will do. Thank you.
  • civil eggineer
    Options
    I personally would refridgerate it first then slice it later. It will firm up and be easier to get nice thin slices.
  • thirdeye
    thirdeye Posts: 7,428
    Options
    Since you have plenty of time, give it a couple of hours in the cooler. Stick a probe in it to make sure your internal stays above 155°. When it comes out, place the foiled brisket into a zipper or vacuum bag and cool it down as fast as possible. If it's a smaller flat, put it in the freezer for an hour or so, then transfer to the fridge. If it's a big flat or whole brisket, mix a cooler full of ice water and submerge it for an hour, then reansfer to the fridge.

The object is getting it through the 40-140° danger zone as quickly as possible. Do your slicing following reheating, it will be much moister.
    Happy Trails
    ~thirdeye~

Barbecue is not rocket surgery