Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

New Egger...ideas for a party?

Options
SpFly in the NWI
SpFly in the NWI Posts: 2
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Hello all...just got my bge last week and i love it...my son's first birthday is next week and i want to show off my new toy....any suggestions for 20 people?

Also, anyone have info on Gordon Food Service lump?

Thanks!

Comments

• Jeffersonian
    Jeffersonian Posts: 4,244
    Options
    Pulled pork, for several reasons:

* It's easy
    * You can make a ton of it
    * It's not expensive
    * It's novel and spectacular when you roll out the pork to pull
    * It's delicious
  • Knauf
    Knauf Posts: 337
    Options
    Since you need to keep your first few cooks at a lower temp to "season" the gasket you could try pulled pork. can't really screw it up...just be patient and let the meat work its way through the plateau phases for moist and juicy pork.
  • stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    Options
    yep

just did 16 punds for a 6 year old's birthday. fed the whole family. did chili, wings, etc. but the PP is always a hit.
    ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • Jeffersonian
    Jeffersonian Posts: 4,244
    Options
    I did a couple of butts for a church potluck a few months ago and, while everyone had had pulled pork before, few had seen it before it was pulled or the process. There were a lot of oohs and aahs when I rolled the first butt out of the foil and towel. It was half the fun.
  • JLOCKHART29
    JLOCKHART29 Posts: 5,897
    Options
    Yep Pulled pork. 190-195 meat temp with 250-275 pit and a no brainer. Reheats really well. Then some ABT'S (Stuffed jelopenos) if you really want to show off. Do a search if you need to know more about them or ask. Easy and good.
  • stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    Options
    first time i made it i had a buddy here. he helped me pull it of the egg, and as i plonked it into a bowl to pull it, i said "zat what it's supposed to look like?"

his mouth was agape. staring. i said "zat good or bad?" hahaha

"very good. he said. yep, that's pulled pork awright"

never really had it until i did it at home, honestly.
    it might be horrible, but what do i know?
    ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • Canugghead
    Canugghead Posts: 11,527
    Options
    Hello, newbie here. I've done pulled pork twice, the second cook, a 7.5 pounder, at 250 dome temp, took almost 21 hours to reach 190 internal but it was juicy and delicious.

I don't have a guru but recently I used an oven thermometer to verify the grid temp...when dome was stabilised at 325, the grid temp was only 250. For future pulled pork cook, I'm planning to go with 300-325 dome temp. What do the eggsperts here think?
    canuckland
  • Shilomare
    Shilomare Posts: 103
    Options
    a 75 degree temperature differential between the grate and dome temps seems a little large to me. My experience has shown 25 to 30 degrees to be more the norm...

Question for you...when was the last time that you verified the accuracy of your dome thermometer? You may want to remove the dome temp gauge and verify its accuracy by immersion the tip in a pot of boiling water...I suspect that you will find it to need adjustment..
  • Bacchus
    Bacchus Posts: 6,019
    Options
    I have had a 100deg temp differential between dome and grid, with all measuring devices calibrated. It doesnt happen often, but definately can, depending on the variables.
  • Canugghead
    Canugghead Posts: 11,527
    Options
    The test was done after dome therm was recaibrated at 100C (212F).
    canuckland