Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Maple syrup - best kind? (stupid post alert)

Options
2»

Comments

• mikeb6109
    mikeb6109 Posts: 2,067
    Options
    all i can say is that there is plenty of sugar maple in my town and surrounding area! they do not do it commercialy but personally and most of them are handed down sugar shacks from many generations!
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,767
    Options
    alot of newengland supermarkets carry the cabin syrup from vermont in the tin can. its good syrup and probably doesnt have the high cost of the tourist places, its what i get. i dont see much difference between that and the fancy bottle stuff, any syrup made in vermont is fine by me, grade a dark.
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • HungryNephew
    Options
    Celtic Wolf wrote:
    It is the one thing I miss living in the south. My home in NY had several Sugar Maples on it. I tapped them all.

Are we still taking about trees here?
  • Beli
    Beli Posts: 10,751
    Options
    Now we have the perfect excuse for you to come over and get another one Mike..... ;)
  • AlaskanC
    AlaskanC Posts: 1,346
    Options
    I have this feeling that we aren't
    :laugh:
  • mikeb6109
    mikeb6109 Posts: 2,067
    Options
    beli i only wish i would be able to go spend some time in your paradise!!! B)
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    I'd be surprised if anyone has any light amber left after April. It's the first stuff, there isn't much of it and it doesn't last long. I've only been able to buy iy locally at a place where they do maple sugaring demonstrations.

The light stuff is sweeter but not as mapley. Don't get me wrong though,iIt's real good!
  • Celtic Wolf
    Celtic Wolf Posts: 9,773
    Options
    geegus stike is rubbing off on all ya'll..
  • Charleston Dave
    Options
    Costco sells a 1-qt (32 fl oz, 946 ml) bottle of "Maple Crest" brand Grade A dark amber syrup that i like very much on my Sunday overnight yeast waffles.

It's much less expensive than the Carey's brand in the small glass bottles at the regular grocery store, and to my palate seems more refined in taste. I find I use much less of it than I do when I'm using so-called "maple-flavored" syrups (yech). I've used it in cooking occasionally with good results. The flavor is mild and round with a good aroma, without seeming sugary. Seriously, if you try this stuff you won't want to go back to Mrs. B.

Looking at the plastic bottle, I see that it's a Canadian product from Les Industries Bernard & Fils, Ltée, www.bernards.ca; their website has several recipes as well as this tutorial on types of maple syrups:

Maple Syrup Selection

I also see that I was supposed to refrigerate it after opening...oops!

If you want to go high-end with your syrup, one super-trendy gourmet ingredient right now is Blis organic syrup. This comes in what looks like a half-bottle of wine. It's aged in bourbon barrels or infused with Tahitian vanilla; it goes for $20 per 375ml. I've seen it used to create maple foams in fancy desserts, for example.