Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

While y'all were in Atlanta... I cooked a squash

Options
FearlessGrill
FearlessGrill Posts: 695
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Roasted Butternut Squash with Mango and Sage Glaze, to be exact...

So we weren't able to make it to Eggtoberfest this year, but the Egg was busy nonetheless. My wife and I went to a farmstand, and they had locally grown butternut squash. She wasn't really sure what to do with it, but it looked tasty, so we bought one.

She found a recipe from Bon Appetit that she modified a bit, and we cooked it in a roasting pan in the Egg. As you can see in the picture, it looks great, and tasted really good too. Although I didn't add any wood to the fire, you could taste a mild smoky flavor in the squash, and the consistency was nice - tender, but not at all squishy. More details on the cook are posted on our blog at http://www.fearlesskitchen.com/2008/10/recipe-roasted.html

Roasted%20Squash%201.jpg

To cook the squash, we peeled it, removed the seeds, and cut it into thick slices. These were put into a roasting pan, and sprinkled with salt and pepper. Mango juice and a bit of whipping cream were poured over them, and some orange peel and sage were scattered over the slices. We cooked it indirect at 375 degrees for about an hour, splashed with a bit more mango juice, and served.

Enjoy!

-John

Comments