Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

pizza

Options
belle's dad
belle's dad Posts: 146
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
First I want to recognize what a great job the Green Egg corparate and staff did handling the Eggtoberfest.
This was our second year, and, it amazes me how well and smoothly it was handled. Great job. Thanks.

Bought a new pizza stone Saturday, after destroying my wife's Pampered Chef one in the Egg. I want to do a Pizza tonight for the first time. Wish I had the recipe of one I tried Saturday -- Great. Just so I don't destroy this one - Should I place it on the Place Setter or a raised grill? At what temp.? Any great recipes readily available? Just need some help from who ever is willing to contribute. Gordon

Comments

• FlaPoolman
    FlaPoolman Posts: 11,677
    Options
    If on the plate setter use the feet or other options for an air gap. Raised grid will do the same thing
  • Celtic Wolf
    Celtic Wolf Posts: 9,773
    Options
    You will be hard pressed to crack that pizza stone in the egg. I have used mine as the only heat barrier many times.

For the pizza bake or for baking in general I fine using the stone on a plate setter feet down with the little green feet as a spacer between the stone and the setter works great.

In lieu of the feet you can use any heat resistant material that will give you a 1" space and balance the stone.
  • EmandM'sDad
    Options
    Here's a link to a crust I really like
    http://www.kingarthurflour.com/shop/RecipeDisplay?RID=R297

it takes a little planning but has great flaver from the overnight rise.

for setup, i use the same one as Mr. Wolf described. i typically bake them at 550-600.
  • BillT
    BillT Posts: 61
    Options
    I think that this set-up is best; plate setter legs down and feet as spacer. However, I have had my best luck with a 350 temp and wait until the cheese starts to brown a little. I have burned too many crusts at the hot temps, even if many better eggers don't!

BillT
  • reelgem
    reelgem Posts: 4,256
    Options
    I haven't attempted a pizza either but a few people that cooked them at the fest said that they cook the crust for about 5 min. and they take it off and add the sauce and toppings. Does everyone agree on that one?
  • Mainegg
    Mainegg Posts: 7,787
    Options
    this is what we do for the sauce now, a can of tomato paste, same amount of your favorite salsa, same amount of your favorite BBQ sauce. I use sweet baby rays. this is thick, spicy and a little sweet. very good
  • BillT
    BillT Posts: 61
    Options
    I have cooked 25+ pizza in the last 7+ years on the large. I have tried crust first and whole pizza and think that the whole pizza works best for the way I cook them. I have tried hot (500+) and normal (350) and found that normal works best. My set-up is platesetter legs down, egg feet, and then a pizza stone. I put everying on when lighting and let get hot while I am working on the pizza. Because temps of the stone and grill never are the same I do not use time but rather color (when the cheese starts to brown slightly) as my temp/time guage.

At the 2008 Eggs By The Bay I was next to a guy that made over 30 pizza that day (I don't know if his pizza recipe and set up are on that web site). He built the pizza and then put on the same set up that I use. My recollection was that he was trying for a higher temp, but I don't have a great memory. His pizza was outstanding (I do remember that)!

I hope this helps.

BillT