Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Young vs. Mature Wood

MRM
MRM Posts: 6
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I noticed yesterday that I'm running low on smoking wood, so it's time to fire up my chain saw and chipper and make a little noise. I've got acres of hickory and oak trees behind my house. There's a lot of small stuff in the 3"-4" diameter range that I need to thin anyway and I'm thinking of using some of them for the Egg. I'm wondering if there is any difference in the smoke produced with wood from a younger tree vs. a more mature one. (I'm not referring to aged wood vs. green wood - only young vs. old.) Any opinions?[p]My wife and I got back from Paris Friday night. First thing Saturday morning she went to our local meat emporium (Mr. Prime Beef) for loin chops and a brisket. I used the two tiered grill method so we could have the chops for dinner and leave the brisket on for lunch today. The trip was great, but we really missed our Egg. I found a cast iron grill pan with a removable handle that fits perfectly on our medium Egg. Now I just need some suggestions for what to cook on it.
Ideas?

Comments

• Char-Woody
    Char-Woody Posts: 2,642
    MRM, IMO its best to cut your wood with a hand limb saw over the chain saw. The oils used to lubricate the chain will contaminate the ends of the pieces. You can trim those ends later with a band saw, but I think its easier but slower work to do it with a clean blade hand saw.[p]Good luck with the cast iron pan. There are some prior posts of uses for em. I need to experiment more with those myself. I have used em for skillet potatoes, bacon, eggs, ect. Welcome to the forum![p]Char-Woody[p]
  • TJinBham
    TJinBham Posts: 24
    Char-Woody,
    Any thoughts on green vs dried?

• MRM,
    Cuttin wood is fun... but you can use the bark of a shagbark hickory. Just cut the bark where it has peeled off the trunk...don't strip it off...might be bad for the tree. It gives the same smoke if you soak it in water. May take a little more. My back yard is a forest preserve(sp.)and hickory and wild mushrooms justify the high taxes I pay.

• Char-Woody, this may seem confrontational,, but,, I prefer my wood cut with a double-bladed axe. And while you're at it,, chop me a load too. Good point about the bar/chain lube. You could borrow the neighbors chain saw and just don't put oil in it. :)

• Char-Woody
    Char-Woody Posts: 2,642
    TJinBham, only thoughts are that green wood contains more sap and may tend to give off far more creosote. I prefer to air dry my woods for 6 months before using and use up your stock before it reaches 2 years for best smoke flavoring.
    Old weathered and dried woods are to be avoided..Rank and moldy.[p]

• Elder Ward
    Elder Ward Posts: 330
    MRM,[p]Cook anything that you want to have the hint of smoke.[p]Elder Ward