Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Foil on Polder Wire

Kip
Kip Posts: 87
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I've seen many pictures with foil over the Polder sensor wire. What is the purpose? And does it affect the reading??

Comments

• CR
    CR Posts: 175
    Kip, couple of reasons: 1. protect the cable from direct heat especially if cooking at higher temps 2. keeps the cable from collecting grease and gunk which becomes very stiff and brittle over time.[p]Does not affect the operation of the thermometer.

• Tim M
    Tim M Posts: 2,410
    Kip,[p]Just an added sleeve of protection from heat. I fried my 1st Polder probe the 2nd or 3rd time I used it and since then I added a layer of foil to help shield the plastic insulation on the wires in the metal mesh sleeve. I haven't lost a cable from heat since and I have gone over the rated temps a few times for short amounts of time. I can't say for sure that it helps, but it can't hurt.[p]No, it can't change the readings.[p]Tim