Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Baking Bread

Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Does anyone have any tips on baking loaf bread in a Large BGE? Also, looking for a really yeasty flavored recipe for white bread.

Comments

• djm5x9
    djm5x9 Posts: 1,342
    Mike:[p]Here is a start for the recipe . . .

[/b]
  • Tim M
    Tim M Posts: 2,410
    fbread4.jpg
    <p />Mike S.,[p]Here is a link to a webpage I put together some time ago, it might help.[p]Tim[p]http://www.tm52.com/bge/bbq-page20.htm
    [ul][li]French Bread on the Egg[/ul]
  • BlueSmoke
    BlueSmoke Posts: 1,678
    Mike S.,
    I enjoy home-baking too. In the past I had problems with the bottoms burning, so I tried an experiment last weekend. I tried to maximize the thermal mass in the Egg, and stabilized temperature well before putting the bread in.
    My setup was the plate setter, spare grill, fire brick (covering the whole grill) and finally the pizza stone (I use a kiln shelf - don't have a "genuine" pizza stone). I fired up about an hour before baking - could have cut that back to half an hour: it only took 15 mins to hit 400º and it was stable from there on out.
    Don't know what you mean by "yeasty flavor." If you use flat beer for all or part of the water you'll get a taste I'd call yeasty. If you like sourdough, here's the recipe I used.[p]Pueblo Bread (2 loaves)
    The night before, mix
    2 packages dry yeast
    1 Tablespoon sugar
    2 cups water
    2 cups flour
    Cover with a clean towel and let work overnight.[p]Next morning, stir and add
    1 Tablespoon salt
    1/4 cup oil
    3 to 4 cups flour (add one cup at a time)[p]Knead 10 minutes (dough mixer) or 20 minutes (by hand). Add sprinkles of flour as needed. Dough should be smooth, glossy and elastic. Cover and rise until doubled (about an hour).[p]Punch down and knead briefly. Form into loaves, let rise until doubled and bake 40 to 45 minutes at 400º.[p]Enjoy,
    Ken

• BlueSmoke,
    Thanks to all. The recipe sounds great. I'll definitely give it a try.

• BlueSmoke
    BlueSmoke Posts: 1,678
    Mike S. ,
    Adding a pinch of rubbed sage makes it a leeeeeedle bit better.[p]Ken